Amedisys

www.amedisys.com
  www.amedisys.com
There are newer employer reviews for Amedisys

Very bad experience, Karma and Medicare will get them.

I worked at Amedisys full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nothing to say, really. It looks good at the beginning, but you don't want to see what you dug out.

Cons

Upper management; old staff that doesn't accept any changes, crusty and rotten.

VP's and AVP's of BD and Ops: Get back to school and get a degree.

302 Other Employee Reviews for Amedisys (View Most Recent)

RN Case Manager

I have been working at Amedisys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Love working with patients and families. Community health nursing is a great field to work in.

Cons

Very obvious they will choose anyone without training to be DON. My DON was hardly ever there, mentally and physically. No leadership at all. No one you can go to with questions or concerns. The work environment is do your job, don't ask questions, and keep your mouth shut or they will find a way to eliminate you. Asking questions is looked at as causing problems or "disrupting the herd." Pay per visit policy encourages competition among nurses instead of teamwork. Unfair in assigning patients. Favorites always have plenty of visits. In the agency I worked in it was common practice for one nurse to have 9 visits and another to have three. No rewards or incentives in place. Nurses are not valued for care they provide or their skills. The nurses, HHAs, and therapists are great people and provide the best care in some of the most challenging situations, but productivity and being an employee that works in silence is always valued more.
         Can't keep experienced staff because new nurses are thrown out into the field and given a caseload long before they are trained properly, and usually quit within three to six months time. Need to invest more in training programs to keep experienced nurses, which ultimately affects patient care. Patients are tired of too many different nurses which affects the consistency of care and the ability to achieve our goals in care. The staff truly cares and wants the best for our patients, but you need to step up your game and provide a work environment that cares about it's employees and patients more, and values the care we provide more than productivity.
         In a competitive market, referral sources and physicians don't care about our numbers. They care more about the patients. If a patient is readmitted to the hospital, it comes back to the discharge planner, your referral source. If the patient goes in for a 2 week follow up after discharge and tells the physician no one is on the same page because the patient had 10 different nurses, he will not refer to you again.

Care about your employees. They are skilled professionals and have a great deal to bring to the table. Get some training in management. You are doing it like the 70s. It's all about teamwork these days and open door policies. Get rid of pay per visit so you can begin fostering a collaborative approach to care and eliminate the competitive work environment. Invest more training time in new employees. They could turn out to be great community health nurses. Start paying time and a half for overtime instead of half time. Your skilled professionals are worth it. Install rewards and incentive programs to show you value employees for their devotion and skills.
    Bottom line-patient care is always the priority to any nurse, HHA, or therapist. Respect that and you respect us.

Amedisys is one of the worst companies!

Former Employee - Medical Social Worker in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Medical Social Worker in Durham, NC

I worked at Amedisys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Patients and families and the priveledge to serve them.

Cons

The management lacks leadership skills and respect for their employees.
    Corporate, Regional Manager are all about the bottom line!
    HR fails to follow through, and or take action when issues present themselves in the office; such as harassment and racism (I'm White, my supervisor is AA)
    I reached out to the CEO of the company to file a complaint...NOTHING got done!

Finally, I quit because of the hostile environment and harassment.

Spend time in the field and in the offices.
    Train supervisors, or better yet, hire supervisors who know how to lead instead of dictate. Moreover, hire supervisor who aren't racist, create hostile work environments and target employees who don't fit their mold.
    When HR receives a phone call from a distressed employee...RESPOND!!

There are newer employer reviews for Amedisys