There are newer employer reviews for Ameren

Don't Trust Your Career Here

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Saint Louis, MO
Current Employee - Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Ameren full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A regulated utility is a monopoly and people love their product.

Cons

As I write this some good people that I know are losing their jobs. Ameren's foray into the deregulated merchant electric business is ending badly. I'm sure the board members and senior management people that decided to make Ameren the next Enron or Calpine about 15 years ago aren't being hurt by their bad decisions, but many people poured many hours of effort into a lost cause. The ex-CEO once called their merchant generating affiliate the "growth engine of Ameren". Well thanks a lot for letting me put my career into a mis-managed mess that was a waste of time. Ameren is "selling" their deregulated generating business to Dynegy and the Dynegy folks don't need too many of the Ameren people. Now I find myself wishing I never worked there because it's always better to be part of a success than a failure. Avoid this company like the plague, you will be sorry if you put your life's work into this organization, I am.

Stop promoting relatives and people married to relatives. Your stock value won't go up while nepotism is the defining element in promotions to senior management.

38 Other Employee Reviews for Ameren (View Most Recent)

If VP is your buddy and you enjoy bureaucratic top-down only management, this is the place for you!

Former Employee - Field Engineering Representative
    Former Employee - Field Engineering Representative

I worked at Ameren full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay in some areas for work performed. Benefits are better than many newer companies but are under pressure. Many types of jobs are available all over state.

Cons

Where to begin? It would be hard to imagine how a company management could drive employee morale much father down. Since Ameren swallowed up the moderately well run utility company I worked for in Illinois, it has been one bad decision after another. Annual employee surveys consistently give horrible ratings to upper management year after year yet no changes. Need new board & management.

Change the culture 180 degrees. Stop the "bad news gets buried". Eliminate layers and layers of bureaucrats. Require managers to directly ask first line employees what would help them be more efficient Get rid of stone-age software that actually slows down work. Fire the top half of the management if necessary.

Not for career focused or forward thinking leaders

Former Employee - Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Ameren full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

One of the more stable employers in the St. Louis area

Cons

Leadership likes to talk about being innovative, but new or innovative ideas are often crushed under the culture of "We've always done it this way."

Too often management does not look for cost effective ways to manage the company which leads to the constant requests for rate increases.

Be willing to ask what the leadership can do to make the company more viable and increase the value to shareholders.

There are newer employer reviews for Ameren

Worked for Ameren? Contribute to the Community!