Conservative Utility in Midwest

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Ameren

Pros

I like the flexible work hours, nice work-from-home policy, friendly colleagues,job security and constant challenges from different projects. Ameren is very conservative compared with other utilities.

Cons

The cafeteria is horrible. I mean, I don't understand why they can't lease it out to McDonald and KFC to have some competition. The food is expensive, code and terrible. People have to bring their own lunch.

Advice to Management

Change the way we do business. Due to the monopoly on UE side for years, Ameren is like a dinosaur with huge body and little head. The head is little because it doesn't make all decisions based on market, but rather on "old school" ways. Dinosaurs are extinct now.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good work/life balance, but not challenging enough

Former Employee - Quantitative in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Quantitative in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Ameren

Pros

Good work/life balance, it was not uncommon to see fellow coworkers arriving at 7AM and leaving at 3PM each day. Most people in the company are nice and easy to get along with. Good benefits and a decent match on the 401k. Compensation was good for the amount of work required.

Cons

For those trying to challenge themselves, Ameren might not be the best place to work. There are very few projects, which is partially a function of the "if it's not broke, don't fix it" mentality that is common among utilities. There is simply no urgency to improve processes or look for efficiencies. Along those lines, there is very little room for creative thinking. Workers are expected to do what they are told and nothing else. Promotions are usually based on seniority rather than merit.

Advice to Management

- Be more transparent -- "regular" employees don't really know what management is trying to accomplish - Be more open to new ideas -- the company is conservative, but that doesn't mean it should be closed to new ideas

2. Good Steady Company. Struggling with too much Coal

Former Employee - Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Ameren

Pros

Amazing Work Ethics. Senior Management to look upto

Cons

Very Slow Culture. Need to be self motivated to keep going. Very slow coordination between various groups

Advice to Management

Get out of the way