AmeriCorps

There are newer employer reviews for AmeriCorps

Is AmeriCorps for You?

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Coordinator in Pensacola, FL
Former Employee - AmeriCorps Coordinator in Pensacola, FL

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

gain experience, satisfaction of giving back, team esprit

Cons

very low compensation but this is seen as a "volunteer" position

309 Other Employee Reviews for AmeriCorps (View Most Recent)

Rewarding, but that wont pay the rent. Extremely frustrating

Current Employee - Technology Literacy/Employment Specialist At Transition Plus Services in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-- Education award (although its taxed, so this is less of a pro than I'd hoped)
    -- The students I work with are sweet and genuinely grateful for the help I provide them
    -- I enjoy some (but not all) of what I do
    -- A lot (maybe to much) freedom in your position

Cons

--The pay is a bad joke
    --Program management is well intentioned, but useless and unresponsive
    --1700 hours yearly requirement provides no incentive at all to work hard
    --mandatory trainings/retreats/long Member Development Days every second week that generally ignore issues members have (by way of example, my program is chartered to provide basic computer skills training, resume writing training, and job search help to low income, high need individuals and very rarely do we get technology instruction yourself, and never have we got any instruction on resume writing or job search)
    --disorganized, poor communication between program staff and site supervisors
    --everybody just seems generally unprepared to handle issues
    -- if you aren't at a site that has a well institutionalized, well laid out americorps position with well defined duties, you could find yourself in a lot of trouble (or not, I guess, depending on who you are)
    --Nobody even knows what Americorps is, including employers
    --You're told it looks better on a resume than it actually does
    --If you don't have a job after your service year ends, you don't qualify for unemployment benefits (which, by the way, would give you more money than Americorps does)

To be fair, I did sign up for it, and I do enjoy the "hands on" helping people very much. However, I don't like how Americorps has become this job where its like "here, help the underprivileged! but by the way we're not going to give you any resources, training, or money" There's no incentive to put effort into anything because of the way Americorps pays its members. Its downright degrading that I get paid way less than the students I teach do off their part time jobs at Wendy's. I helped a student find a job this past week and now he's looking for one for me. Its absolutely ludicrous. I'm in a place where I love the organization where I serve and I love most of what I'm doing, but the communication issues and the ungratefulness of program staff make me want to leave, and the pay issue is just the icing on the cake. I consider loyalty one of my strongsuits, and I'm seriously considering leaving midyear

A great experience if your dedicated to helping, but don't expect to live off of the "living expense"

Current Employee - Academic Support in Paterson, NJ
    Current Employee - Academic Support in Paterson, NJ

I have been working at AmeriCorps part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love being an impact to the community. Although many feel differently about working with less privileged. However, I love being an educational support staff and building relationships with the clients I serve.

Cons

I wish I was able to live off of the living expense, but unfortunately, its nearly impossible.

Provide better options for service members to be able to balance work and llfe while participating in the service commitment.

There are newer employer reviews for AmeriCorps