Interesting r

Former Employee - Jumpstart Tutor
Former Employee - Jumpstart Tutor

I worked at AmeriCorps part-time for more than a year

Pros

Was part of the Jumpstart tutoring program. You will get to work with a young child in a low-income school and you have the chance to make a huge difference in their learning experience.

You can make your entire work-study allotment plus an extra educational grant (I think it's about $1300 or so now).

Cons

The curriculum is too structured and doesn't allow the tutors to tailor the program to their group of students.

It would be better if the curriculum started out as it is and became more flexible as the year went on and the tutors become more experienced.

Other Reviews for AmeriCorps

Invaluable Experience

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

Gave me the opportunity to gain experience in my field as soon as I got out of college.
    Taught me how to live on a tight budget.
    Great support system and benefits along the way.

Cons

If you don't have any $ saved up, it can be very stressful and difficult to make it through the year.

Wonderful learning experience and a great stepping stone.

Former Employee - New Jersey Watershed Ambassador Program
    Former Employee - New Jersey Watershed Ambassador Program

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great way to gain experience after college or high school. Helps pay student loan debt or for continuing education. Lots of opportunities all over the country. Very diverse opportunities.

Cons

People can have very different experiences based on their specific program. Pay is very little as AmeriCorps is considered a volunteer position. My program did not adjust pay for cost of living. People in southern New Jersey earned the same salary as me while I lived and worked in northern New Jersey where rent was three times more expensive.

There are newer employer reviews for AmeriCorps.

Worked for AmeriCorps? Contribute to the Community!