www.nationalservice.gov
There are newer employer reviews for AmeriCorps

overall unique and good experience

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

great way to meet interesting people. amazing opportunities to see the other side of America and work to improve it. people usually go straight for peacecorps to make their mark in their world but AmeriCorps gives you an opportunity to help those who are so easily overlooked in your own backyard. so much room for experience and program directors are so focessed on your needs and wants they will happily work with you to make sure you get everything you expected of your service year.

Cons

very small stipend. difficult communication with larger organization for stipend/education award issues. look into your assignment as much as you can before committing, try and speak with the former AmeriCorps member who served there to find out how much of an effect you will have and if it is worth it.

309 Other Employee Reviews for AmeriCorps (View Most Recent)

AmeriCorps

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible Work Schedule
    can defer student loans
    worthy cause

Cons

low pay is a major concern

Wonderful learning experience and a great stepping stone.

Former Employee - New Jersey Watershed Ambassador Program
    Former Employee - New Jersey Watershed Ambassador Program

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great way to gain experience after college or high school. Helps pay student loan debt or for continuing education. Lots of opportunities all over the country. Very diverse opportunities.

Cons

People can have very different experiences based on their specific program. Pay is very little as AmeriCorps is considered a volunteer position. My program did not adjust pay for cost of living. People in southern New Jersey earned the same salary as me while I lived and worked in northern New Jersey where rent was three times more expensive.

There are newer employer reviews for AmeriCorps