Like an unpaid internship

Current Employee - Americorps-Vista in Santa Rosa, CA
Current Employee - Americorps-Vista in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot of office skills right out of college, also got to have some say in what professional development I wanted.

Cons

Sometimes treated as the help in the office (my specific position within Americorps, may not be universal). VERY low stipend and not allowed to have an additional job.

Advice to Management

Make it easier for us to apply for foodstamps.

Other Employee Reviews for AmeriCorps

1. Interesting r

Former Employee - Jumpstart Tutor
    Former Employee - Jumpstart Tutor

I worked at AmeriCorps part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was part of the Jumpstart tutoring program. You will get to work with a young child in a low-income school and you have the chance to make a huge difference in their learning experience. You can make your entire work-study allotment plus an extra educational grant (I think it's about $1300 or so now).

Cons

The curriculum is too structured and doesn't allow the tutors to tailor the program to their group of students.

Advice to Management

It would be better if the curriculum started out as it is and became more flexible as the year went on and the tutors become more experienced.

Wonderful learning experience and a great stepping stone.

Former Employee - New Jersey Watershed Ambassador Program
    Former Employee - New Jersey Watershed Ambassador Program

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great way to gain experience after college or high school. Helps pay student loan debt or for continuing education. Lots of opportunities all over the country. Very diverse opportunities.

Cons

People can have very different experiences based on their specific program. Pay is very little as AmeriCorps is considered a volunteer position. My program did not adjust pay for cost of living. People in southern New Jersey earned the same salary as me while I lived and worked in northern New Jersey where rent was three times more expensive.