There are newer employer reviews for AmeriCorps

AmeriCorps Intern Job Review

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

Good money, work outside frequently

Cons

Tiring, can be boring and tedious

279 Other Employee Reviews for AmeriCorps (View Most Recent)

overall unique and good experience

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

great way to meet interesting people. amazing opportunities to see the other side of America and work to improve it. people usually go straight for peacecorps to make their mark in their world but AmeriCorps gives you an opportunity to help those who are so easily overlooked in your own backyard. so much room for experience and program directors are so focessed on your needs and wants they will happily work with you to make sure you get everything you expected of your service year.

Cons

very small stipend. difficult communication with larger organization for stipend/education award issues. look into your assignment as much as you can before committing, try and speak with the former AmeriCorps member who served there to find out how much of an effect you will have and if it is worth it.

AmeriCorps provides personal and professional growth

Former Employee - Program Development in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Program Development in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

AmeriCorps exposed me to a new environment and culture I knew little about and after having been unemployed for over two years and struggling in my previous career, I now have new skills and learned how to network which will aid in my new career path.

Cons

Volunteers need to be eligible for unemployment when their service ends. Needs better support at the local and state level with other AmeriCorps members, have monthly or bi-monthly get-togethers. Lack of quality health care; covers very little and is very difficult to understand what is and isn't covered. Being as this is a federal program members should be entitled to federal health insurance.

Being as management is primarily hindered by the US government, at the federal level there MUST be more monetary interest in supporting this program. This program provides US citizens with jobs!

There are newer employer reviews for AmeriCorps