AmeriCorps

www.nationalservice.gov

AmeriCorps provides personal and professional growth

Program Development (Former Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsAmeriCorps exposed me to a new environment and culture I knew little about and after having been unemployed for over two years and struggling in my previous career, I now have new skills and learned how to network which will aid in my new career path.

ConsVolunteers need to be eligible for unemployment when their service ends. Needs better support at the local and state level with other AmeriCorps members, have monthly or bi-monthly get-togethers. Lack of quality health care; covers very little and is very difficult to understand what is and isn't covered. Being as this is a federal program members should be entitled to federal health insurance.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing as management is primarily hindered by the US government, at the federal level there MUST be more monetary interest in supporting this program. This program provides US citizens with jobs!

It's a great experience, but that doesn't always mean it's fun.

AmeriCorps VISTA (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

I have been working at AmeriCorps as a contractor for more than a year

Pros: Able to do things without any previous experience Rising to the… Cons: AmeriCorps administration does not seem to know how to meet members where they are and help them to be successful. If you don't know… Advice to Senior Management: Do more to bridge the gap from start to successful completion. This needs to be someone's actual job, not… More

Like an unpaid internship

Americorps-Vista (Current Employee) Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time for more than a year

Pros: Learned a lot of office skills right out of college, also… Cons: Sometimes treated as the help in the office (my specific position within Americorps, may… Advice to Senior Management: Make it easier for us to apply for foodstamps. More
There are newer reviews on AmeriCorps.

Worked for AmeriCorps? Contribute to the Community!