Good experience

Former Contractor - Volunteer in Indianapolis, IN
Former Contractor - Volunteer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Do things that make a serious difference. Solid hours Learn things everyday from others with vastly different experiences than you.

Cons

Not the most glamorous work.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Americorps VISTA is idealistic and fair, but they need to screen the nonprofits they grant volunteers to more closely.

Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA Fellow in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA Fellow in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Administrative, capacity-building experience. Assist volunteers with making their programs better. The projects can be so awesome that you want to come back another year.

Cons

Volunteers were more energetic about the mission than the staff. Supervisors that don't supervise, and see you as a gopher. The first few months are just getting to understand the project, but we work for 1 year. If people don't disrespect you as "just an intern", they treat you like you promised to fix their whole program single-handedly.

Advice to Management

Please screen your nonprofits more closely. TWO nonprofits that I worked with were lazy and without any vision. They didn't understand that I was there to help them grow their farmer's market and community gardens and tried to use me as a gopher and extra set of hands for anything they wanted. "Could you watch the computer lab this afternoon? Oh, be a team player." And both of my supervisors went out of their way to ignore my progress on my actual job so that they could claim to their ED that they didn't know what I was doing. My 2nd supervisor didn't fill out the grant to get your support because that co-worker had quit by then, so he felt that he shouldn't have to learn what I was doing. Have you ever thought about asking for a back-up supervisor in the application? He also tried to turn in my VAD as the Year 2 VAD. He didn't even ask me to help him update it based on what I'd accomplished! Thankfully, my VISTA liaison noticed this blatant laziness and made him redo it. And how are volunteers able to give you feedback on VISTA's work? The community residents that ran the community gardens or were vendors at the farmer's market were far more enthusiastic and integral to my progress than either of my supervisors were. Granted, it was one--but only one--of my residents who treated me like I was there to fix everything and that she didn't have to do anything, but overall, I feel that getting the residents, volunteers, clients or what-have-you's feedback would be better than relying solely on the supervisor.

Good hearted organization with some issues.

Former Contractor - AmeriCorps Member in Sacramento, CA
    Former Contractor - AmeriCorps Member in Sacramento, CA

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Good team based atmosphere, Good mid/upper level management, Felt like you made a difference sometimes, The members were dedicated to making a difference

Cons

Some of the sponsors did not need help, Felt like cheap or free labor at points and sometimes were treated that way

Advice to Management

Treat your workers like adults with an education. Be more selective with project choice.