There are newer employer reviews for AmeriCorps

Americorps VISTA review

Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Sacramento, CA
Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Get to work in a low income community and give back
- There is usually a lot of autonomy
- Definite resume builder for college grads with little experience
- See a new place, meet new people

Cons

Heres my advice, research a lot before going in. Make sure you know the people you are working with and that they know what a VISTAs role is before you accept. As a VISTA you have to understand that you are going to be put in a unsustainable situation and you are going to be paid basically nothing... thats the point of VISTA... its going to be frustrating and you may not get done everything you want to get done, but if you work hard usually you are rewarded. Also make sure you are OK with the fact that you are going to have to be a self starter. A lot of VISTA supervisors have many other responsibilities and VISTA is low on their totem pole, you aren't going to get a to do list everyday. Obviously every situation is different but I think this is good general advice.

I think generally Americorps VISTA does a good job, maybe do a better job of making sure supervisors don't take advantage of their VISTAs.

279 Other Employee Reviews for AmeriCorps (View Most Recent)

AmeriCorps NCCC FEMA Corps - Day to day work wasn't great but the overall experience was worth it.

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

You get to live and work on a team of people your age (18-24). You also get to travel all over the country on different assignments.

Cons

While working for FEMA, we did a lot of monotonous office work and were shuffled around during disaster periods.

Good experience

Former Employee - Volunteer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Do things that make a serious difference.
    Solid hours
    Learn things everyday from others with vastly different experiences than you.

Cons

Not the most glamorous work.

There are newer employer reviews for AmeriCorps