AmeriCorps
www.nationalservice.gov Washington, DC 1000 to 5000 Employees

Americorps VISTA review

Americorps VISTA (Current Employee)
Sacramento, CA

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time for more than a year

Pros- Get to work in a low income community and give back
- There is usually a lot of autonomy
- Definite resume builder for college grads with little experience
- See a new place, meet new people

ConsHeres my advice, research a lot before going in. Make sure you know the people you are working with and that they know what a VISTAs role is before you accept. As a VISTA you have to understand that you are going to be put in a unsustainable situation and you are going to be paid basically nothing... thats the point of VISTA... its going to be frustrating and you may not get done everything you want to get done, but if you work hard usually you are rewarded. Also make sure you are OK with the fact that you are going to have to be a self starter. A lot of VISTA supervisors have many other responsibilities and VISTA is low on their totem pole, you aren't going to get a to do list everyday. Obviously every situation is different but I think this is good general advice.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think generally Americorps VISTA does a good job, maybe do a better job of making sure supervisors don't take advantage of their VISTAs.

Good experience

Volunteer (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor for less than a year

Pros: Do things that make a serious difference. Solid hours Learn things everyday… Cons: Not the most glamorous work. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Americorps VISTA is idealistic and fair, but they need to screen the nonprofits they grant volunteers to more closely.

AmeriCorps VISTA Fellow (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time for less than a year

Pros: Administrative, capacity-building experience. Assist volunteers with making their programs better. The projects can… Cons: Volunteers were more energetic about the mission than the staff. Supervisors that don't supervise, and see you as a gopher. The first few months are just getting… Advice to Senior Management: Please screen your nonprofits more closely. TWO nonprofits that I worked with were lazy and without any vision. They didn't understand that I was there… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on AmeriCorps.

Worked for AmeriCorps? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AmeriCorps reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AmeriCorps CEO Rosie K. Mauk. All reviews posted anonymously by AmeriCorps employees.