There are newer employer reviews for AmeriCorps

be sure this is something that you want to do (this review is for NCCC)

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Professional development opportunites.
Lots of travel.
Could potentially meet lifelong friends
Legitimate gap year option after undergrad

Cons

Low living wages.
Housing situations aren't always ideal.
Work is not always hands-on (depends on the particular track)
Could be stuck with clashing personalites for the duration.

We understand that we're not doing this for the money but little upgrade to our food budget and housing allowance would be nice.

reviews filtered by
  1. Americorps VISTA is idealistic and fair, but they need to screen the nonprofits they grant volunteers to more closely.

Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA Fellow in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA Fellow in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Administrative, capacity-building experience.
    Assist volunteers with making their programs better.
    The projects can be so awesome that you want to come back another year.

Cons

Volunteers were more energetic about the mission than the staff.
    Supervisors that don't supervise, and see you as a gopher.
    The first few months are just getting to understand the project, but we work for 1 year.
    If people don't disrespect you as "just an intern", they treat you like you promised to fix their whole program single-handedly.

Please screen your nonprofits more closely. TWO nonprofits that I worked with were lazy and without any vision. They didn't understand that I was there to help them grow their farmer's market and community gardens and tried to use me as a gopher and extra set of hands for anything they wanted. "Could you watch the computer lab this afternoon? Oh, be a team player." And both of my supervisors went out of their way to ignore my progress on my actual job so that they could claim to their ED that they didn't know what I was doing.

My 2nd supervisor didn't fill out the grant to get your support because that co-worker had quit by then, so he felt that he shouldn't have to learn what I was doing. Have you ever thought about asking for a back-up supervisor in the application? He also tried to turn in my VAD as the Year 2 VAD. He didn't even ask me to help him update it based on what I'd accomplished! Thankfully, my VISTA liaison noticed this blatant laziness and made him redo it.

And how are volunteers able to give you feedback on VISTA's work? The community residents that ran the community gardens or were vendors at the farmer's market were far more enthusiastic and integral to my progress than either of my supervisors were. Granted, it was one--but only one--of my residents who treated me like I was there to fix everything and that she didn't have to do anything, but overall, I feel that getting the residents, volunteers, clients or what-have-you's feedback would be better than relying solely on the supervisor.

2. Awesome

Current Employee - AmeriCorps NCCC, Community Relations Support Team Leader in Newark, NJ

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Able to service the community

Cons

We could have done so much more to help the communities.

Its time to continue providing community service to needed urban areas.

There are newer employer reviews for AmeriCorps