Cool!

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

Community Service is pretty awesome!

Cons

Low pay and I mean it!

Advice to Management

Pay Us!

reviews filtered by
  1. Failed to take care of their own.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generally rewarding work, some great people

Cons

Barely livable stipend - was injured on the job and missed week resulting in denial of my education award

The good, bad, and ugly of Americorps

Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Madison, WI

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I served two times with Americorps. The first time was awesome. It was a small program serving in a public school with at-risk kids. There were two of us in a classroom helping PreK kids get "ready" for Kindergarten, teaching them basic skills and behavior. We had a good training program, the teacher whose classroom I was in was an amazing child-whisperer and I learned a ton from her, and the overall experience was very fun and rewarding. Other than some menial office-work they made us do to fill our hours, it was a great experience.

Cons

The 2nd time I did Americorps VISTA, where I was placed as a tutor in a public school. I did not have a car (and couldn't afford to buy one on Americorps salary) yet for some reason they put me on the far side of the city, where I had to take two buses to get there (a hour round-trip, with a nice chilly outdoor wait between buses). I suppose you could say this built character, but really it was just a huge pain, dangerous, and exhausting. The other people I worked with were lucky enough to have rich parents who bought them nice new cars to drive to their site in, so they had a nice time I guess.

They pay you so little that even with the education stipend it comes out to around $4/hour, so you're pretty much unable to afford anything. They actually tell you to go on food stamps. I had enough money for food, but not anything else.

My supervisor was a complete idiot who had no clue about anything and taught me nothing, and the other "adults" at the school were just terrible people. I felt very bad for the kids who had to go to school there. One time a student was found "loitering" on the property. Turns out she was homeless, and had nowhere else to go. They yelled at her and called the cops! They were constantly yelling at all of the children all the time and had no clue how to manage them or help them achieve.

I was given no training whatsoever that I recall, so it was a pretty pointless experience on all levels.

Advice to Management

Obviously, the experience varies greatly from site-to-site and depends a lot on the logistics and people you are working with. For god's sake, pay people at least minimum wage. You can certainly appreciate poverty in America on minimum wage, if that is part of the experience. There is no way to be of "service" to America if you are so poor you can't afford anything at all.