AmeriCorps

www.nationalservice.gov
  www.nationalservice.gov
There are newer employer reviews for AmeriCorps

This was a great experience for me coming straight out of undergrad. I gained a lot of invaluable work skills.

Former Employee - Volunteer Coordinator
Former Employee - Volunteer Coordinator

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a volunteer coordinator I was able to create my own projects in the schools I worked with. I planned family nights, tutored and created different outings and events for the students. There were lots of opportunities for me to network with other AmeriCorps members and AmeriCorps alum. I had a lot of flexibility in my hours

Cons

The program I worked under had a lot of turnover in upper management, at times they were disorganized and at worst ineffective. There didn't seem to be a lot of room for career growth where I worked.

Provide AmeriCorps members with professional development opportunities.

296 Other Employee Reviews for AmeriCorps (View Most Recent)

Americorps VISTA

Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Hamilton, OH
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Hamilton, OH

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Provides great life experience in working with nonprofits and community members. I feel its a great stepping stone to a career in any field, especially non profits.

Cons

A little confusing when you come in to the program.

Working for AmeriCorps/ Washington Conservation Corps.

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Outdoors, 4 days a week, paid training for earning your red card (fire fighting card).
    Learning new plants, the edible kind and none edible kind. Trains you for disaster relief, gives you a great opportunity to network and meet new people from various cities. Sent to different states for disaster response during natural disasters. Paid HAZMAT training. Paid CPR and Wilderness ER training. That can eventually help you become a paramedic if so desired.

Cons

Very physically challenging, very tired after work so it feels like all you have are Fri.-Sun. to catch up on your house hold chores, and shopping. Working through all four seasons outdoors, working in snow, carrying sometimes up to 60lbs of mulch and various other things. Only minimum wage, no raises( unless you are a supervisor). Sometimes the location of the work site is very challenging as well.

There are newer employer reviews for AmeriCorps