AmeriCorps

There are newer employer reviews for AmeriCorps

Community Service and Education Benefits

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Valdosta, GA
Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Valdosta, GA

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

What I liked most about working in two different AmeriCorps positions for two years was knowing that I was contributing to non-profit organizations whose goals were to better the community in which I lived. I also received two Segal Education Awards for my two years of service, which amounted to 11,000 dollars; I am now using these education awards to go back to school and help pay off previous student loans. I gained some valuable professional skills during both of my terms of service that I can now apply to my current and future career endeavors.

Cons

Because AmeriCorps operates as a grant to the non-profits its employees are placed with, the pay is fixed and is pretty low salary. Depending on the AmeriCorps program you work under, there are various requirements that must be met for your year(s) of service to be considered "successful." This can include hourly requirements, additional assignments while "off the clock," and/or committing to living at the poverty line (for AmeriCorps VISTA members). All in all, I genuinely enjoyed my time as both a State AmeriCorps Member and as an AmeriCorps VISTA Member.

296 Other Employee Reviews for AmeriCorps (View Most Recent)

It is what you make of it

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Helena, MT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Helena, MT

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Took a year after college as a VISTA to figure out where I wanted to go and what I needed to get there. AmeriCorps provided the responsibility, exposure, and time needed to direct my next steps toward a career. Some graduate schools also provide generous scholarships for volunteers.

Cons

Orientation feels misdirected at times, as if they are really trying to get you to drink the kool-aid.

Good experience

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in New Orleans, LA

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Americorps was a great experience out of college - I was in the AIDS United program which I really enjoyed and it helped me figure out what I wanted to do with the rest of my career

Cons

Little support from Americorps, my program (AIDS United) ended up being defunded, pay is not very good

raise the pay