AmeriCorps

There are newer employer reviews for AmeriCorps

Community Service and Education Benefits

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Valdosta, GA
Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Valdosta, GA

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

What I liked most about working in two different AmeriCorps positions for two years was knowing that I was contributing to non-profit organizations whose goals were to better the community in which I lived. I also received two Segal Education Awards for my two years of service, which amounted to 11,000 dollars; I am now using these education awards to go back to school and help pay off previous student loans. I gained some valuable professional skills during both of my terms of service that I can now apply to my current and future career endeavors.

Cons

Because AmeriCorps operates as a grant to the non-profits its employees are placed with, the pay is fixed and is pretty low salary. Depending on the AmeriCorps program you work under, there are various requirements that must be met for your year(s) of service to be considered "successful." This can include hourly requirements, additional assignments while "off the clock," and/or committing to living at the poverty line (for AmeriCorps VISTA members). All in all, I genuinely enjoyed my time as both a State AmeriCorps Member and as an AmeriCorps VISTA Member.

309 Other Employee Reviews for AmeriCorps (View Most Recent)

Leave your mark

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Denver, CO

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great way to travel the country, learn some skills, and earn some money for college. Also get paid a modest living allowance

Cons

Crammed quarters with 7-11 other young adults.

VISTA

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

Gain experience in a field of interest, student loan forbearance, meet people from all over the US, help those in need.

Cons

huge financial sacrifice, quality of programs varies greatly

There are newer employer reviews for AmeriCorps