AmeriCorps

There are newer employer reviews for AmeriCorps

Corps Member w/ NCCC

Former Employee - Corps Member in Perry Point, MD
Former Employee - Corps Member in Perry Point, MD

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

learn team building skills and get to travel the country!

Cons

do not join if you are in it for the money; teams you get placed in may prove to be a challenge if your teammates are not hard workers

find a way to promote NCCC more to colleges/high schools

315 Other Employee Reviews for AmeriCorps (View Most Recent)

A great experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Paid travel, in depth training, meeting other people who care about service to others

Cons

First year was a great experience in Seattle. Second year in Sioux Falls, SD was terrible. Americorps VISTA was completely mismanaged in South Dakota. Very unsettling.

South Dakota has been getting away with a lot of misuse of AmeriCorps volunteers.

If you're thinking about AmeriCorps VISTA- DONT DO IT!

Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My host site was absolutely amazing! They made my year from hell totally worth it. They were the only ray of light in my whole crappy AmeriCorps VISTA year. I gained great experience and the connections and growth i made there definitely helped me get my job once my year of service was over.

I will say the team VISTA leader I had was GREAT!! She seemed to actually care, but the people above her who actually handle my files and info were not as wonderful as her.

Also they were very understanding when i had a death in the family and gave me a full week of bereavement time, which i great appreciated.

BUT.....

Cons

Even thought my host site was the BEST working with AmeriCorps and Points of Light was TERRIBLE!! They are SO disorganized. There are so many rules and regulations they dont tell you about the educational award until you're already committed and months into your year of service. They never respond to emails in a timely manner. They have horrible retention and always have new employees who dont know what they are doing. In short they are jerks who honestly do not care about you or how youre living.

Even worse I was a VISTA during the government shutdown for two weeks of work i got paid like 160. They tell you its a fixed stipend but its not, and i got ripped off like 30 bucks on my last living allowance because it ended a day early. I know 30 dollars doesnt sound like a lot, but when you're living in poverty and only get paid 400 bucks for 80 hours of work thats a lot of hard earned money. Also take into perspective that i only made 30 dollars a day to work my butt off.

They are just using you to get research and work for (almost) free. I had to work on christmas eve and new years eve but everyone at americorps/points of light was on vacation for those whole two weeks and i need assistance with one of my projects.

In short, they are unprofessional, unsympathetic, sloppy, disorganized, and the people higher up dont even really care about you.

DONT DO IT IF YOU HAVE OTHER OPTIONS!!!!!!!!! NOT WORTH IT.

Respond to your emails and get your stuff together.

There are newer employer reviews for AmeriCorps