AmeriCorps

www.nationalservice.gov
There are newer employer reviews for AmeriCorps

Great Experience!

Current Employee - Americorps VISTA Community Development Coordinator in Hazard, KY

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free training, professional development, leadership experience, etc. Really awesome volunteer job with the potential to help many people. Learn about poverty through experience. You get money towards student loans/school.

Cons

These are more consideration than cons. The pay is low, but that's not why a person takes this position. You are not allowed to run for office. You need to be a self-starter for this job and really look for opportunities on your own.

Paying people at poverty level is great for teaching them about poverty in theory. What really happens is that your team members face extra stress that lowers performance. Living in poverty creates a similar amount of stress on the body as pulling an all-nighter. I've lived in poverty all my life, so I'm used to going without things and juggling a tight budget and those are things everyone should learn. Paying people at poverty level does not begin to address the cause behind poverty, because it's not just a money issue.

314 Other Employee Reviews for AmeriCorps (View Most Recent)

AmeriCorps VISTA

I worked at AmeriCorps

Pros

Loved traveling around Montana to all the different workshops, meeting people, and the community outreach.

Cons

Low pay. But that wasn't even all that bad.

A must do in a lifetime, there is nothing better than lending a helping hand.

Former Employee - Volunteer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Volunteer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Strong relationships, networking, and a lifetime of honor.

Cons

None whatsoever, volunteering comes from the heart.

Continue loving what you do.

There are newer employer reviews for AmeriCorps