There are newer employer reviews for AmeriCorps

Good experience as a post-college first job

Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Spartanburg, SC
Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity out of college for those interested in nonprofit organizations, and/or moving to a different area. Job satisfaction is completely dependent on the organization, so make sure you do your homework before applying and accepting a position. Great way to serve a community, get $$ toward student loans, and meet others with similar interests.

Cons

Overall structure is complicated, and the staff, grant requirements and organization are constantly changing. Makes for a lot of red tape. Good pay cannot be your goal when looking to serve with Americorps. Yearly salary is equal to the poverty line in your community- ranging from 10K-15K usually. Good way to learn to live on a budget!

Advice to Management

I'd like to have seen State/Regional Directors at least once or twice during my service.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. It's fun, rewarding, and challenging.

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Perry Point, MD
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Perry Point, MD

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meeting new people, traveling to new places, experiencing work variety.

Cons

You need a good leader.

Advice to Management

Support team leaders.

If you're thinking about AmeriCorps VISTA- DONT DO IT!

Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My host site was absolutely amazing! They made my year from hell totally worth it. They were the only ray of light in my whole crappy AmeriCorps VISTA year. I gained great experience and the connections and growth i made there definitely helped me get my job once my year of service was over.

I will say the team VISTA leader I had was GREAT!! She seemed to actually care, but the people above her who actually handle my files and info were not as wonderful as her.

Also they were very understanding when i had a death in the family and gave me a full week of bereavement time, which i great appreciated.

BUT.....

Cons

Even thought my host site was the BEST working with AmeriCorps and Points of Light was TERRIBLE!! They are SO disorganized. There are so many rules and regulations they dont tell you about the educational award until you're already committed and months into your year of service. They never respond to emails in a timely manner. They have horrible retention and always have new employees who dont know what they are doing. In short they are jerks who honestly do not care about you or how youre living.

Even worse I was a VISTA during the government shutdown for two weeks of work i got paid like 160. They tell you its a fixed stipend but its not, and i got ripped off like 30 bucks on my last living allowance because it ended a day early. I know 30 dollars doesnt sound like a lot, but when you're living in poverty and only get paid 400 bucks for 80 hours of work thats a lot of hard earned money. Also take into perspective that i only made 30 dollars a day to work my butt off.

They are just using you to get research and work for (almost) free. I had to work on christmas eve and new years eve but everyone at americorps/points of light was on vacation for those whole two weeks and i need assistance with one of my projects.

In short, they are unprofessional, unsympathetic, sloppy, disorganized, and the people higher up dont even really care about you.

DONT DO IT IF YOU HAVE OTHER OPTIONS!!!!!!!!! NOT WORTH IT.

Advice to Management

Respond to your emails and get your stuff together.