mean place

I worked at American Academy of Arts & Sciences

Pros

architecture of the building, location, serenity of grounds, potential for consideration of issues of real significance with high caliber minds.

Cons

the "leader" is dreadful and establishes a climate of fear.

Berlowitz has charmed a blinded, aging leadership. Try a confidential 360 degree review process and see what you will find out from those who know her best.

Other Reviews for American Academy of Arts & Sciences

Former Fellow recommends -- stay away, either as an employee or a fellow

Former Employee - Research Fellow  in  Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Research Fellow in Cambridge, MA

I worked at American Academy of Arts & Sciences full-time for more than a year

Pros

The American Academy has a proud and important tradition, and in best of times it serves as an gathering place for remarkable and innovative scholars, artists, and activists.

Cons

I personally witnessed -- on a nearly daily basis -- the president of the Academy belittle and degrade staff. I have personally seen people break down after interactions with senior leadership. I was insulated from insults because I have a PhD and could leave at any time, though I felt deeply sorry for what the staff went through. Just before I left, the President of the Academy built a wall so that she she would have complete privacy, and it struck me that she had walled herself off from the rest of the organization in more than physical ways. In the year that I was there, more than 40% of the staff turned over. I study organizations, and this was the most dysfunctional organization I have ever witnessed. It is just so deeply deeply sad.

To the Board: please step in and do a thorough review. The current board has been hand-chosen by the President, and that's a shame. To the Staff: consider legal options.

The stuff that nervous breakdowns are made of...

Former Employee - Coordinator
    Former Employee - Coordinator

I worked at American Academy of Arts & Sciences full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Academy is an esteemed organization channeling the powers of brilliant minds all over the world to work for the public good. That I was able to work with such individuals was truly an honor. The professional staff, when not beaten down, is superb. They work very hard and accomplish a great deal, despite minimal resources and little incentive. I loved my job at the Academy and would have made it a career position had it not been for the details written below.

Cons

The Executive Director/President has instilled a culture of fear and abuse that filters throughout the organization in every way. Every element of your job is micromanaged and criticized and deflecting blame is the name of the game - if only to avoid having to deal with the "corner office". It is truly the most degrading and horrifying experience that I have ever had. Almost daily, I watched my colleagues (and sometimes myself) reduced to tears by the furious (and completely irrational) tirades of the Executive Director. After my first month (!) I kept a list of the employee turnover rate - in the 2.5 years I was employed at the Academy, more than 100 employees came and went. With a full time staff of approximately 30 people, I'd say that speaks volumes. In addition to the poisonous, ulcer-inducing environment, there is zero work/life balance, mediocre benefits, no professional development (at the very least, some management training would not go amiss!) and no flexibility. I could go on and on, providing numerous examples of the toxic culture, each more horrific than the last, but it is almost unbelievable if you haven't experienced it. Let's just say that after 2.5 long, stressful years I quit without a backup - it was that bad. I just couldn't subject myself to that cruel environment any more.

The Management of this organization needs a complete overhaul, starting from the top down. Unfortunately, despite many efforts by staff (who live in fear of retribution) to reach out to the Board and the membership, little has been done to stop what can only result in a downward karmic spiral. It is only a matter a time before she brings shame (if not severe legal and financial consequences) to this historic and venerable institution.

There are newer employer reviews for American Academy of Arts & Sciences.

Worked for American Academy of Arts & Sciences? Contribute to the Community!