What a disgrace

I worked at American Academy of Arts & Sciences

Pros

Intelligent people trying to collaborate on initiatives with academic and social policy significance. Access to thought leaders from around the world.

Cons

I can only add to the chorus of negative feedback regarding the Academy leadership, and in particular the CEO. How such a totally unacceptable situation has been allowed to persist for so many years is unfathomable. And unforgivable. I personally experience visceral disgust whenever I pass the Academy grounds. I am a successful survivor of the Norton Woods gulag, and I take very seriously the moral import of the words I am using in this review. The nightmarish interhuman reality at the Academy is directly attributable to the culture of intimidation and belittlement that the CEO narcissistically perpetuates in the name of high standards and commitment to the mission. It's sad and infuriating to think of all the talent, time, resources, and potential that so many smart people have wasted on behalf of this organization.

Forcibly retire the current leadership ASAP and engage in extensive reflection on what a truly honorable institution worthy of its history, value, and promise would need to do in order to redeem this inglorious chapter.

Other Reviews for American Academy of Arts & Sciences

A small, but outstanding institution that is making tangible contributions through its work.

Current Employee - Senior Management
    Current Employee - Senior Management

I have been working at American Academy of Arts & Sciences full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you have the opportunity to be part of the team here you will work with exceptional people and be part of all that is being accomplished. Certainly a place that demands your best. Building an institution and a record of achiement like that at the Academy involves struggles and hard work.

Cons

Being effective at the Academy requires a level of commitment that not everyone can or will give - hence the kind of negative comments posted on this site by a few who left of one reason or another. Why wouldn't you just move on instead of disparaging an institution, its leadership, and all of the staff who remain? These people seem to have forgotten that the Academy gave each and every one of them opportunites.

mean place

I worked at American Academy of Arts & Sciences

Pros

architecture of the building, location, serenity of grounds, potential for consideration of issues of real significance with high caliber minds.

Cons

the "leader" is dreadful and establishes a climate of fear.

Berlowitz has charmed a blinded, aging leadership. Try a confidential 360 degree review process and see what you will find out from those who know her best.

There are newer employer reviews for American Academy of Arts & Sciences.

Worked for American Academy of Arts & Sciences? Contribute to the Community!