American Academy of Ophthalmology
www.aao.org San Francisco, CA 150 to 499 Employees

A good place to work for a

San Francisco, CA

ProsOverall, this is a really good small company (I think about 200 employees). Salaries and benefits are competitive and a great work/life balance. limited promotion opportunities because of its size but you can certainly learn some new skills here and move on if you like. The academic culture of the company is not for everybody - but this is a great place to be in a recession.

ConsNew CEO does not seem to have a vision. We were excited to see someone new in the corner office and hoped he would deal with the appalling IT division, but after one year he seems to let things just ride.
Like all companies there are some poor performers that need to be shown the door, but CEO does not seem to care about the employees he just spends time with the board.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace everyone in IT and most of the management of Clinical Education Division and this would be a much better company. new CEO needs to actually talk to employees and communicate his vision (if he has one)

The American Academy of Ophthalmology

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at American Academy of Ophthalmology

Pros: Small association that is more like a family. The people… Cons: Very cliquey. Some people fit and others leave quickly. Advice to Senior Management: Start trusting your people to do the job you pay… More

A good place to work for a short time.

(Current Employee)

I have been working at American Academy of Ophthalmology

Pros: AAO has a very good reputation among medical associations, and it looks great on a resume. It's a small company (under 200) so it's… Cons: Because of the pros and we're the only med assn in SF, there are a lot of "lifers"-- people who have been here 10, 15,… Advice to Senior Management: Be more open to allowing a job's level number to grow in accordance to how the employee has grown the position-- and make more realistic… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Worked for American Academy of Ophthalmology? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Academy of Ophthalmology reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Academy of Ophthalmology CEO Dr. David Parke. All reviews posted anonymously by American Academy of Ophthalmology employees.