There are newer employer reviews for American Airlines

Can be fun if you don't mind working for a risky company

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Airlines full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

* Airline industry is interesting
* So many areas of the business need improvement, it's easy to add value
* Flight benefits - Pay is lower because of this

Cons

* Probably 80% of the employees are there for the flight benefits so management does not put in enough effort to retain its employees or keep them happy. This leads to some managers who do not have good management skills. Their mentality is "I don't care if you leave. I just want my bonus". This also leads to almost no promotions. This is for some managers, not all.
* Employee performance evaluations don't seem to ever be used for anything - except maybe as a red flag if the employee tries to transfer to another group. Definitely do not lead to more pay or career advancement.
* Has been a brain drain out of HDQ over the last few years. This makes projects very frustrating.
* Pay cuts. No raises for years
* Company seems to always be 5 minutes away from entering a big world of hurt: One more crash, SABRE goes down for more than a few minutes, fuel costs skyrocket, pilots decide to tank the company, etc. It's an environment of uncertainty.
* A cup was placed over the copy machine for us to place a dime for every personal page copied
* I'm worn down - ready to exit

Running a big company must be very difficult. There's no way you can make everybody happy. I guess the only advice I have is to always stick to the principles that made the company sucessful throughout its history

672 Other Employee Reviews for American Airlines (View Most Recent)

Financial Analyst

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Airlines full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flight benefits, ability to move within departments

Cons

very hard to move up, more focus on who know who rather than ability

Lot of individualism promoted here and people work like family

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at American Airlines full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you want to work in a family like environment then this is the place. The work pace is laid back and you don't have aggressive deadlines. And the flight benefits that you get is one of the best (since AA is such a big airline).

Cons

AA is not the best paymaster. The vacations you get are not sufficient. Growth opportunities are limited as there are lot of people who are sticking to the company just because of flight benefits, which creates a barrier for people to move up.

Create more growth opportunities in the company. Reduce bureaucracy and increase pay.

There are newer employer reviews for American Airlines