There are newer employer reviews for American Airlines

American Airlines HQ offices

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Fort Worth, TX
Former Employee - Business Analyst in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at American Airlines full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

AA is a great company to work for if you are wanting to gain experience in various departments and build your business expertise. I worked in three different organizations and had three very different experiences in terms of management and peers. For the most part upper management is personable and it is a good atmosphere to work in. Teams are usually close knit and work feels like an extended family. The flight benefits are great.... if you love travel.

Cons

The pay is not up to industry level.... there are many jobs where you can make more with other companies..... word of advice.... make sure to negotiate what you can with first job in company, if not you are stuck in a pay bracket that could hinder what you make in future jobs in the company.

Rethink your pay plan and how you value employees in this regard.... It is very difficult to see long term employees that know the company inside and out... and make huge contributions to its success making half of what newly hired college students that know nothing about it and will take years to get to that point of contribution.

650 Other Employee Reviews for American Airlines (View Most Recent)

Can be fun if you don't mind working for a risky company

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Airlines full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

* Airline industry is interesting
    * So many areas of the business need improvement, it's easy to add value
    * Flight benefits - Pay is lower because of this

Cons

* Probably 80% of the employees are there for the flight benefits so management does not put in enough effort to retain its employees or keep them happy. This leads to some managers who do not have good management skills. Their mentality is "I don't care if you leave. I just want my bonus". This also leads to almost no promotions. This is for some managers, not all.
    * Employee performance evaluations don't seem to ever be used for anything - except maybe as a red flag if the employee tries to transfer to another group. Definitely do not lead to more pay or career advancement.
    * Has been a brain drain out of HDQ over the last few years. This makes projects very frustrating.
    * Pay cuts. No raises for years
    * Company seems to always be 5 minutes away from entering a big world of hurt: One more crash, SABRE goes down for more than a few minutes, fuel costs skyrocket, pilots decide to tank the company, etc. It's an environment of uncertainty.
    * A cup was placed over the copy machine for us to place a dime for every personal page copied
    * I'm worn down - ready to exit

Running a big company must be very difficult. There's no way you can make everybody happy. I guess the only advice I have is to always stick to the principles that made the company sucessful throughout its history

We're in bankruptcy now so there is a lot of uncertainty among employees across the board

Current Employee - Flight Attendant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Airlines part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I love the people I work with. They is a variety, you never work with the same person/people twice in a row unless you want to. It can be a very fun job, going all over the place in the world.

Cons

Long hours, many nights in hotel rooms, and some obnoxious passengers.

Why can we all share the sacrifice? Stop trying to make millions even during the bankruptcy. The gap between the top executive and lay employees is unbelievably enormous and it is only getting bigger.

There are newer employer reviews for American Airlines

Worked for American Airlines? Contribute to the Community!