There are newer employer reviews for American Airlines

Good work environment and great travel perks

Former Employee - Manager  in  Fort Worth, TX
Former Employee - Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at American Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A lot of sharp people work at AA and company policy helps ensure respectful treatment of all employees. Travel privileges and other travel-related discounts can help you see the world for less than half of what it might otherwise cost.

Cons

Opportunties for improvement may include more fact-based decision-making that is even more customer-focused; the contentious history of management-labor relations needs to be addressed for the company to prosper in a manner equal to its potential.

656 Other Employee Reviews for American Airlines (View Most Recent)

Can be fun if you don't mind working for a risky company

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Airlines full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

* Airline industry is interesting
    * So many areas of the business need improvement, it's easy to add value
    * Flight benefits - Pay is lower because of this

Cons

* Probably 80% of the employees are there for the flight benefits so management does not put in enough effort to retain its employees or keep them happy. This leads to some managers who do not have good management skills. Their mentality is "I don't care if you leave. I just want my bonus". This also leads to almost no promotions. This is for some managers, not all.
    * Employee performance evaluations don't seem to ever be used for anything - except maybe as a red flag if the employee tries to transfer to another group. Definitely do not lead to more pay or career advancement.
    * Has been a brain drain out of HDQ over the last few years. This makes projects very frustrating.
    * Pay cuts. No raises for years
    * Company seems to always be 5 minutes away from entering a big world of hurt: One more crash, SABRE goes down for more than a few minutes, fuel costs skyrocket, pilots decide to tank the company, etc. It's an environment of uncertainty.
    * A cup was placed over the copy machine for us to place a dime for every personal page copied
    * I'm worn down - ready to exit

Running a big company must be very difficult. There's no way you can make everybody happy. I guess the only advice I have is to always stick to the principles that made the company sucessful throughout its history

Financial Analyst

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Airlines full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flight benefits, ability to move within departments

Cons

very hard to move up, more focus on who know who rather than ability

There are newer employer reviews for American Airlines

Worked for American Airlines? Contribute to the Community!