There are newer employer reviews for American Airlines

Strong potential to do great things!

Current Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Airlines full-time

Pros

Great work environment - support & help
Flight benefits!!
Encourage internal hiring
New opportunities opening due to bankruptcy

Cons

Very low salary - below peers & industry
High attrition creating gaps in productivity
Quality of management subpar

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to have a strong vision and act on it ASAP. Make sure to drive the company's mission throughout every level of the organization. Too many disgruntled employees. Management has to do a better job of retainning those employees in-line with the company's objectives and seperating from those that are not.

reviews filtered by

Project Manager

Former Contractor - Project Manager in DFW, TX
    Former Contractor - Project Manager in DFW, TX

I worked at American Airlines as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, they have a lot of company recognized holidays

Cons

I don't think AA is comfortable with contractors. They keep you at a distance, and they make an effort to let you know that you are not an employee. As a result, it's difficult to do your work that requires collaboration with others.
    Also, they are not a progressive company due to the older age of employees, averaging 20-30+ years of service. Most of the managers are former flight attendants who were promoted within, therefore they don't understand the flow of other progressive companies and of course the benefits of employing contractors who bring a higher level of expertise.
    AA is very political, they have too many levels of management which makes it difficult to get approvals for projects.
    Finally, HQ buildings are very dated. They do not have updated break rooms, coffee and filtered water is not provided by the company, you have to join coffee and water clubs or bring your own.
    Overall, I did not have a good experience and will not return.

Advice to Management

Remove some of the levels of management. Encourage creativity and embrace contractors who bring expertise to your organization.

Once great, not so much anymore!

Current Employee - International Flight Purser in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - International Flight Purser in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Travel used to be a great benefit, now you have to fight to get on an airplane. Our health benefits are still okay and pay will let you live in the lower middle class.

Cons

After the mismanagement of our current senior management which has lead to bankruptcy, they are attempting to completely gut our remaining benefits and quality of work life.

Advice to Management

What you are doing is completely wrong, please try to find those who love the airline business and want to help us grow again and become the once proud airline we once were. The money-grubbing and business-as-usual policies will no longer work.