There are newer employer reviews for American Airlines

I saw the best of times and now the worst of times, since they filed for backruptcy. Overall, it was a wonderful, life.

Current Employee - International Purser Flight Attendant in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - International Purser Flight Attendant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I traveled to parts of the world that I would have never seen had I not applied with American Airlines.
I learned tolerance regarding cultural differences.

Cons

Once 911 occured, everything in the airline industry changed for the worst. There is a lot of management manipulation. All the airlines have filed for Bancruptcy. My pay has been reduced by
50% since 2003.

Advice to Management

Treat your front line employees like gold. Stop taking money from us and lining your own pockets with large bonuses every year. It's very insulting to us, and creates poor moral.

reviews filtered by

Working hard for many years...

Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, great managers at the airport and in the headquarters office. Flexible time off, some office managers can work from home occasionally, lots of vacation after 15 years.

Cons

Paid a LOT less than other in similar positions, up to 25% less. Executive management is somewhat out of touch with the customer experience as well as the employee experience. Lot of angry airport employees. Respect your employees' time off. You work all the time.

Advice to Management

Put the employee satisfaction first and you will have happy customers and shareholders.

Am I not worthy

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The PEOPLE, I've made friends with are lifelong. I meet thousands of coworkers a year doing my job and would be proud to call many my friends. I love traveling and eating lunch or dinner in places I could never get to before this career. I've explored many parts of the world amist turmoil and dangerous times.

Cons

I don't feel appreciated or treated as if I matter. I'm not compensated for being a front line worker that represent what was once the premier carrier of The United States. I continue to give my best and work hard to find that I am just a number or an expense that needs to be lowered. I find it hard to be proud when I'm given the sense of you can be replaced quickly even after 25yrs of faithful service.

Advice to Management

Value your workers with more than just words. Let them reap the rewards as well from profits. If you treat them with respect and reward. they will do all they can to make the company the best and surpass any obstacles that threaten its well being.