There are newer employer reviews for American Airlines

Overwhelmed by competitive and social forces since 911

Current Employee - Reservations Agent in DFW, TX
Current Employee - Reservations Agent in DFW, TX

I have been working at American Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Offers a service that will continue to be in high demand into the future, travel benefits a nice perk.
Good medical benefits.

Cons

Too much competition in the industry, low growth potential and career potential.
Discouraging to go from industry leader to bankruptcy in just over a decade.
Bad employee / management relations.
Modest pay for all except top executives and pilots.

Advice to Management

Improving morale of employees and good relations with the traveling public is a must.
The business model is broken, must offer better travel experience while cutting costs and improving revenue.

reviews filtered by
  1. Good workout, but don't expect to make a fortune.

Former Employee - Station Agent in Greer, SC
    Former Employee - Station Agent in Greer, SC

I worked at American Airlines part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers; get to work around planes (if you like that sort of thing); lots of physical labor makes for a good workout; great travel benefits; freedom to do what you want during your downtime; lots of training and mobility potential (especially if you want to move to another part of the country)

Cons

Odd hours (our station was open from 4AM-12AM) possible; working in ANY condition (rain, snow, cold, fire, etc.), lots of loud noises and injury potential; small errors (i.e. driving tractor into wing antenna) will cost you your job (that stuff can cost more than your yearly salary), so be super careful; lots of downtime between flights can lead to boredom; you gotta' dump the crapper.

Advice to Management

I know that price cutting is how you win the race, but you've got to invest a few more bucks in the employees' office comforts. Everything was jimmy-rigged over and over and barely surviving. Maybe you've improved that in the past few years.

Misleading Internship

Former Intern - Airline Customer Service Agent in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Intern - Airline Customer Service Agent in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at American Airlines as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great customer relations experience, amazing internship coordinator, very good training and flight benefits

Cons

Wasn't trained in many areas like promised and was forced to quit at "end of internship." In the interview I was told that I wouldn't be put into the bid system like all of the other employees due to the fact that I was still in school. I was put into the system anyways and I was at the bottom of the list since I was the most recent hire. I ended up with hours that didn't work out with my class schedule so I had to pick school over the company. Management did not care at all.

There are newer employer reviews for American Airlines