American Airlines

www.aa.com
  www.aa.com
There are newer employer reviews for American Airlines

Worst Company I've Ever Worked For!

I worked at American Airlines full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You get a paycheck, health coverage & flight benefits (which are nice to have when you can use them).

Cons

Management of this company is the absolute WORST! I'ts no surprise it is going through bankrupcy, but in doing so, it really stuck it to the lower level employees. Upper management has continually been paid ridiculous salaries with all the perks, while everyone else suffered with poor compensation with the excuse that the airline was doing poorly. I personally worked with two managers who were so clueless and so egregious in their treatment of staff that they were eventually forced out - but that took years before anything was done. In my experience, the way to move up had nothing to do with your work performance, but more to do with "playing the game". If you worked hard and were good at your job, but didn't get involved with the office politics, forget about moving up - you just got more work to do as a "bonus". In the last position I worked, the atmosphere was very tense. Everyone felt like they were being watched and spied on & they were! Email, phone calls & cameras were monitored. One of my managers decided to implement "silent time" for us during which we could not talk or get up from our desk- as if we were childern in elementary school being punished for some nonexistent crime. I could go on & on, but I won't. These are my experiences & as such, I recommending NOT working for this company.

Treat your employees right; they are the backbone of your company! You've got to come up with a better way to coexist with your employees in such a way that they feel empowered in their work life. They want to be treated fairly and with respect, plus they want fair compensation. BTW, you have way too many people trying micromanage when it is not necessary. You could get rid of a lot of useless management positions and instead, let worker groups come up with solutions to their own problems. It makes no sense to have to go through so many levels of management, all of whom know nothing of what you are doing.

708 Other Employee Reviews for American Airlines (View Most Recent)

Good workout, but don't expect to make a fortune.

Former Employee - Station Agent in Greer, SC

I worked at American Airlines part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers; get to work around planes (if you like that sort of thing); lots of physical labor makes for a good workout; great travel benefits; freedom to do what you want during your downtime; lots of training and mobility potential (especially if you want to move to another part of the country)

Cons

Odd hours (our station was open from 4AM-12AM) possible; working in ANY condition (rain, snow, cold, fire, etc.), lots of loud noises and injury potential; small errors (i.e. driving tractor into wing antenna) will cost you your job (that stuff can cost more than your yearly salary), so be super careful; lots of downtime between flights can lead to boredom; you gotta' dump the crapper.

I know that price cutting is how you win the race, but you've got to invest a few more bucks in the employees' office comforts. Everything was jimmy-rigged over and over and barely surviving. Maybe you've improved that in the past few years.

Bad company to work for...do not sign up for it

Former Employee - Station Agent in Greer, SC

I worked at American Airlines part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great flight benefits and discounts off rental cars and hotels

Cons

Very LOW payno formal training, environment is very germy, equipment is ancient, you have to purchase your own uniforms. You work for eagle but learn united and then later on learn eagle (how backwards is that.) Initially they have you sitting at a computer doing 100 lessons at a time (no kidding) You really don't learn anything until you get on the floor. Uniforms are crappy!!

Learn to invest in your employees as far as pay and training! Maybe than eagle would have some seasoned employees. Also, I have never worked for a company that chairs are 100 years old with holes in it...counter top are worn, back office is germy and smelly...sounds a lot about a company.

There are newer employer reviews for American Airlines