American Airlines

www.aa.com
  www.aa.com
There are newer employer reviews for American Airlines

Worst Company I've Ever Worked For!

I worked at American Airlines full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You get a paycheck, health coverage & flight benefits (which are nice to have when you can use them).

Cons

Management of this company is the absolute WORST! I'ts no surprise it is going through bankrupcy, but in doing so, it really stuck it to the lower level employees. Upper management has continually been paid ridiculous salaries with all the perks, while everyone else suffered with poor compensation with the excuse that the airline was doing poorly. I personally worked with two managers who were so clueless and so egregious in their treatment of staff that they were eventually forced out - but that took years before anything was done. In my experience, the way to move up had nothing to do with your work performance, but more to do with "playing the game". If you worked hard and were good at your job, but didn't get involved with the office politics, forget about moving up - you just got more work to do as a "bonus". In the last position I worked, the atmosphere was very tense. Everyone felt like they were being watched and spied on & they were! Email, phone calls & cameras were monitored. One of my managers decided to implement "silent time" for us during which we could not talk or get up from our desk- as if we were childern in elementary school being punished for some nonexistent crime. I could go on & on, but I won't. These are my experiences & as such, I recommending NOT working for this company.

Treat your employees right; they are the backbone of your company! You've got to come up with a better way to coexist with your employees in such a way that they feel empowered in their work life. They want to be treated fairly and with respect, plus they want fair compensation. BTW, you have way too many people trying micromanage when it is not necessary. You could get rid of a lot of useless management positions and instead, let worker groups come up with solutions to their own problems. It makes no sense to have to go through so many levels of management, all of whom know nothing of what you are doing.

690 Other Employee Reviews for American Airlines (View Most Recent)

A decent company held back by a terrible culture

Current Employee - Pilot - First Officer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Pilot - First Officer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Airlines full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great views from the cockpit. Pretty nice hotels. Perdiem is more than enough for the road. Lots of days off if you have seniority. One of the few union jobs left.

Cons

Stressful training events. An unforgiving management that is quick to fire you. You feel like a number not, an employee with a name.

Work on changing the culture, and everything else will fall in place.

Great Front Line Employees

I have been working at American Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Personally, I haven't met an American Airlines co-worker I didn't trust. The front-line...agents, rampers, mechanics, pilots, and flight attendants are a great group. There is some grouchiness, many are disgruntled, but that is not surprising.

Cons

Upward movement is thwarted by fear. No manager will chance taking on a subordinate that is superior to him/her self. This keeps the quality of the upper management down. They seem to love the inexperienced "yes man."

Engage. Don't be so scared. The candidate that could be your next boss in short order is the best thing for the company. Don't be scared, just be honest, and the hot shots will still be on your good side as they pass you up the ladder.

There are newer employer reviews for American Airlines