There are newer employer reviews for American Airlines

Changes

Current Employee - Reservations Agent  in  Tucson, AZ
Current Employee - Reservations Agent in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at American Airlines full-time for more than a year

Pros

Travel and being home based.

Cons

Changes a lot from schedule to policies.

Benefits need to be better.

655 Other Employee Reviews for American Airlines (View Most Recent)

Its a good job if you like to travel

Former Employee - Passenger Svc/Tower  in  Jf Kennedy Ap, NY
    Former Employee - Passenger Svc/Tower in Jf Kennedy Ap, NY

I worked at American Airlines full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

traveling was cheap..discounts everywhere for airline employees. meet alot of different people . medical benefits were very good

Cons

did not pay well. expected employees to make the airline their main priority. bad weather and your stuck there as long as they need you to be

one foot out the door...

Current Employee - Flight Attendant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in New York, NY

I have been working at American Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Amazing and fun co-workers who take pride in their work as well as this once great airline!

Cons

Extremely toxic relationship between management and several employee groups. Non-rev "benefits" are a misnomer. Gutted contracts over ten years have resulted in drastic pay cuts as well as soaring insurance premiums, longer work days, shorter layovers, less vacation, and less sick time. Much of what we do is unpaid. People who are supposed to be in a supervisory role know little to nothing about the employees jobs they are supervising, nor do they have any answers to questions you may have regarding company policy. Corporate management is top-heavy, yet look to the rank and file for cost cuts before trimming the corporate fat. Disastrous and ineffectual business model. Overall product quality has deteriorated so much it's become embarrassing.

Seek help. I don't think there is anything I could say to an airline that's been operating this way for the past 80 years. I've seen AA on a steady downward spiral for the 18 years I've been with the company and I haven't seen any attempts to change the corporate culture whatsoever. You have to want change for it to happen and apparently the execs at AA are allergic to it. For those looking into the possibility of working here, which I absolutely do not recommend, you should know at AA employees aren't equated with value, you are merely a cost item on a chart and their sole focus is to get that cost down. So don't apply unless you are OK with that. Another concern you should have is regarding the long-term success of the airline. It will likely hinge on the results of the merger with USAir. If they retain large portions of "talent" from AA upper-management after the merger, I would give serious consideration to seeking employment elsewhere. All they will serve to do is perpetuate the culture of bad blood that exists today. New office, same bad attitude.

There are newer employer reviews for American Airlines

Worked for American Airlines? Contribute to the Community!