American Airlines

www.aa.com
  www.aa.com
There are newer employer reviews for American Airlines

Work with good people at an often overly conservative company

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in DFW, TX
Current Employee - Senior Analyst in DFW, TX

I have been working at American Airlines

Pros

You work with good people who really care about the company and the industry and will provide you with solid skills to succeed anywhere if you decide to leave at any point.

Cons

American leadership seems to think it's still 1992. Can you work from home one or two days a week? No way - how could your manager keep an eye on you at home? It's things like that, the dress code, the silo mentality, the absolute terror that something we try will be viewed negatively by another department, etc. that makes this only an ok place to work. The maternity leave is inadequate, there is absolutely no paternity leave which shows you what is most important at the company - it's the work, not the employee.

It's 2008 - trust your employees. Let us work from home occasionally. Let us use flex schedules if we prove we can handle it. Instead of clamping down on us when times are tough let up on the reigns and let us prove to you that we are worth the trust that many, many other companies put in their employees. Re-evaluate your maternity (and lack of paternity) policies to prove to us that you care.

705 Other Employee Reviews for American Airlines (View Most Recent)

If your employees aren't happy, your customers won't be either.

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at American Airlines

Pros

The free travel benefits are great - that's why most of us are here. I really can't complain about the salary for my job, esp. when you consider the great flexibility we have with our schedules. Local management at our location is very pleasant to work with and for the most part very respectful.

Cons

Lack of respect by senior management. Lack of overall company direction and vision. Unhappy customers. It seems like the company doesn't know what it wants to be or where it's going.

Wake the hell up! The happiness of our customers trickles down from the top. If your employees aren't happy, neither will your customers. Oh, and how about sharing the wealth. Senior managment took huge bonuses and passed over the line employees who have made huge sacrifices.

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at American Airlines

Pros

American Airlines has a fair and equitable process for career development, including support for moving laterally into different job families that might not happen at another company, such as Human Resources to Marketing. By moving around the company, even at the lowest levels, employees have the opportunity experience different aspects of the business. The more you know about how all the pieces fit together and the more relationships you have across the company, the more successful you will be at your job. Now, you may not always get the job you want when you want it, but the good news is that philosophically, the company supports cross-functional moves.

Cons

American Airlines has a few pockets of greatness, but there are also deep valleys of despair. Employee morale is extremely low, workloads are unbearable, employees are micromanaged, recognition & feedback are non-existent, and pay is low compared to similar jobs at other companies for most employees. Yet, leaders at all levels expect employees to forsake everything in their lives, including family, for the greater good of the company - which is just crazy. The reality is that employees do go above and beyond in order meet deadlines and other obligations, but they do it in order to support their co-workers and teammates, not because their leaders demand it.

The Senior Management Team really needs to take a step back and consider how their actions, reactions, statements, decisions, and posturing affects the employee population. Overall, the team's business acumen is phenomenal, and but their people skills could use some fine-tuning.

There are newer employer reviews for American Airlines