There are newer employer reviews for American Airlines

Work with good people at an often overly conservative company

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in DFW, TX
Current Employee - Senior Analyst in DFW, TX

I have been working at American Airlines

Pros

You work with good people who really care about the company and the industry and will provide you with solid skills to succeed anywhere if you decide to leave at any point.

Cons

American leadership seems to think it's still 1992. Can you work from home one or two days a week? No way - how could your manager keep an eye on you at home? It's things like that, the dress code, the silo mentality, the absolute terror that something we try will be viewed negatively by another department, etc. that makes this only an ok place to work. The maternity leave is inadequate, there is absolutely no paternity leave which shows you what is most important at the company - it's the work, not the employee.

It's 2008 - trust your employees. Let us work from home occasionally. Let us use flex schedules if we prove we can handle it. Instead of clamping down on us when times are tough let up on the reigns and let us prove to you that we are worth the trust that many, many other companies put in their employees. Re-evaluate your maternity (and lack of paternity) policies to prove to us that you care.

675 Other Employee Reviews for American Airlines (View Most Recent)

I'm embarrassed of my salary.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at American Airlines

Pros

The size of AMR provides opportunities to learn skills in different disciplines and departments.

Cons

Salary is poor. M.B.A.'s are given unfair advantages, opportunities and entitlements. They also do not help pay for continuing education pursuits.

The travel benefits may have justified lower salaries 15 years ago but not anymore. Airfares have fallen to a level where there is not much benefit to being an airline employee, (unless you like flying alone). I just searched a round-trip flight Dallas to LAX on AA. A buddy pass that I can give to a friend is $125.40, (for stand-by travel!). That same flight on southwest.com is $310.00, (confirmed space). So you get a 40% discount for travel companions...or you save $185, (if there is a seat available). If you take a trip every month, that's $2,220 in savings a year. Employees are paid much less than $2.2K a year versus comparable employers. The talent at AA has suffered because of this fact.

The good and the bad at American Airlines

Former Employee - Senior Infrastructure Engineer in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Infrastructure Engineer in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at American Airlines

Pros

The flight benefits even though it was extremely hard to get on a lot of flights. It was very easy to get onto planes going out of DFW airport but next to impossible many times coming back into the area. The work schedule was pretty flexible for you to leave if needed to handle something during what would be a regularly scheduled work day. Many times the team members were great to work with despite the attitudes directed downward by upper management. Overall, I would say that I would work there again if the atmosphere were really made better by the managemnet team

Cons

Many deserving emplyees are treated unfairly compared to other employees due to the "good ole boy" system. Employees who do not do teh work or ride the coattails of otehr employees are rewarded for their laziness and given promotions over more deserving employees becasue they are friends witht he management team members outside of the office. This shows thru in many peoples attitudes and gives the employees less reason to want to improve and work harder in there jobs and virtually eliminates the possiblity of a person truly growing until they figure out how to play the game and become another worthless employee.

Lead by example not do as I say not as i do.

There are newer employer reviews for American Airlines