There are newer employer reviews for American Apparel

Not a bad place to work, but the structure is very poor.

Former Employee - Housekeeping in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Housekeeping in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Apparel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work is pretty easy but unchallenging. Listen to your headphones while you work. Slight less workload during graveyard shift. Subsidized lunch tickets and monthly bus passes.

Cons

Not compensated properly. Fluctuating hours. (One month you might work over 40 hours while the next, you may work only 25). Disorganization structure within management and leads. Warehouse location not very ideal, especially for delicate clothes. Friction and miscommunication between supervisors/leads and employees. No cohesiveness. Management set rules, which are enforced temporarily before laxing or implementing new rules. Favoritism is rampant company-wide. The CEO is very unprofessional and very colorful. Human Resources are rarely present during critical situations. The turnover rate is very high. No vacation benefits and the health benefits are costly. The company is in poor financial health. Very superficial environment within the entire company. Very easy to get terminate. If interested in the company, apply at your risk.

Advice to Management

Hire competent employees with motivation and the will and promote people from within as much as possible and train your employees with efficiency and pay your employees.

Other Employee Reviews for American Apparel

Back Stock Associate

Current Employee - Backstock Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Backstock Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at American Apparel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

50% discount and a $190 allowence every 6 months

Cons

I applied for the Sales Associate position and they put me in back stock. Afterwards, I researched many articles on the company and there are so many negative reviews about the CEO, Dov. American Apparel is racist company. Mostly, all the people who work in back stock are black. Maybe one or two black people work on the sales floor and if there is any white people in back stock; it is because there isn’t any room on the sales floor. The people that work in back stock are the hardest working people at the store. Yes, I am a part-time employee and I work harder than the full time employees on the sales floor. I work in the hot basement of the store. Back stock people can't take a full hour break like sales associates can. We have to wear all American Apparel clothing which doesn’t make any sense because we are in the basement. It is so unorganized. No one explained anything to me when I started working there. I would have to ask for my employee numbers, my email account, and my allowance. The work schedule is emailed to us through the American Apparel email accounts they give us. I have yet to receive it so every week I have to get it from someone else. I would not recommend this job to anyone!!!!

Advice to Management

Reevaluate your how you run your business. What happened to code of ethics?

2. Boring job with little upward mobility...especially if you are not a clone.

Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY

I worked at American Apparel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

50% discount off of AA merch + specials 30% off multi-brand free glasses frames + $50 rebate on lenses amazing health insurance for FT fun styles

Cons

hard to get FT company hates giving out raises extremely cliquey intense favoritism for promotions most styles do not fit girls over a size M or L most styles do not fit guys over a size L blatant sexism sales associates start at $9 regardless of experience some stores are generally picky about which of their styles you wear only $180 clothing allowance (discount does not apply) per 6 months contests tend to pick similar winners and no reward for innovation you will hear lots of stories about how disgusting Dov Charney can be little to no training on how to make sales/customer service LOTS of petty high school drama Cashiers paid more than sales associates

Advice to Management

Stop being so concerned with with just image. Treat your employees with respect and encourage great customer service...your sales will go up and you won't have as high of a turnover rate