American Apparel
www.americanapparel.net Los Angeles, CA 5000+ Employees

Unorganized, superficial and unprofessional... but amazing discount!

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
West Palm Beach, FL

ProsLet me preface by saying how amazing AA's discount is. That was honestly the staple keeping me there. I couldn't imagine life without that discount... and my location started us off at $9/hr, and it wasn't difficult to receive a raise. The hours were very flexible and as long as you kept the store neat and clean, greeted customers at the door and flipped over those stupid nail polishes every night, you were golden.

ConsOh God, where do I begin... First off, the hiring process (as most of you already know by now) is probably the closest thing to illegal there is, unless it is illegal which it could be. It's extremely hard to get a job at AA without knowing someone who works there. We got random walk-in applicants all the time, and I would say we actually interviewed about 1 out of 50 of those applicants. If you're oh-so lucky enough to know someone that works at AA, you pretty much got the job. As long as you look the part and haven't stolen from the store before, you're good. They will go ahead and take a picture of you-- a head shot and a full body shot. They send it to corporate to be approved, and that determines whether you get hired or not. It's stupid. Another pretty shitty thing about this company is that they are TOO gracious with promotions, etc. At one point, an 18 year old was the district merchandiser for half of Florida, and that is just ridiculous. There are no real standards, and anyone could go and become manager if they REALLY wanted to. Everything was always so unorganized, and so much stupid petty drama. It honestly made me hate the company and everything it stood for... except the discount. All in all, it's good for the money and discount. That's about it. No matter how much you thought you loved AA, you will hate it after working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously, stop giving such young people high positions in the company. That's why you are in so much debt, that's why there's internal theft, and that's why friendships>professional life at your stores. Extremely unprofessional work setting. Start hiring uglier people who know what the hell they're doing instead of decent looking hipsters who can't even think for themselves.

Superficial in Hiring Process

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at American Apparel part-time

Pros: Great discount on apparel, people are generally nice and fun… Cons: I've seen them judge people immediately when in the hiring process - the more attractive people are on the floor and less attractive, generally heavier… More

It's pretty awesome and chill.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at American Apparel part-time for less than a year

Pros: clothing allowance Fun and upbeat vibe listen to dope music Cons: hours may vary hard to get full time Advice to Senior Management: Communicate to employees Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on American Apparel.

Worked for American Apparel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Apparel reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Apparel CEO Dov Charney. All reviews posted anonymously by American Apparel employees.