American Apparel

www.americanapparel.net
  www.americanapparel.net
There are newer employer reviews for American Apparel

Hard to move up, very little pay, good discount

Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser
Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser

I have been working at American Apparel part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great discount, and lots of free clothes. As a merchandiser I have little direction and am allowed a lot of creativity. Fun people to work with and cool clothes.

Cons

Only got a .50 raise in one year. Company doesn't provide vacation or sick time, even after years of working there. No room to grow unless you want to to move to CA.

309 Other Employee Reviews for American Apparel (View Most Recent)

Backstock is the BEST!

Current Employee - Backstock Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Backstock Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at American Apparel part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employee allowances, employee discount, work environment, staff, schedule flexibility.
    (I applied specifically as back stock. I had experience as a sales associate before, but wanted a more chill environment)
    All in all, I've really enjoyed working at AA. However, I have heard/read horror stories from other workers at separate locations. My specific location is very laid-back, and our manager really cares about her employees. The hours are extremely flexible, and I work almost full-time. I have fun working back stock! I know the sales associates/keyholders/managers don't love their job as much as people in the back. Back stock people don't have to worry about meeting goal, or pleasing customers, though. I'm very satisfied. The company has a bad reputation, but the majority of large companies do! (Just check out Urban Outfitters CEO)

Again, I'm very pleased with my job. I think I lucked out, though. The store is only ten minutes from my house, and the staff is filled with really sincerely kind people. When there aren't many customers, I can just listen to music and play on my iphone! Such a laid-back job. Our staff is very small (only 10 people), so we're like a family.

WARNING: the location and co-workers make a HUGE difference on your outlook of working at AA.

Cons

Dov :(
    Must wear head to toe American Apparel attire. (Which is okay, because the company gave all the workers in our store free shoes)

Hire people who are QUALIFIED, rather than just hiring people with mediocre resumes but good-looks.

Unorganized, superficial and unprofessional... but amazing discount!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at American Apparel part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Let me preface by saying how amazing AA's discount is. That was honestly the staple keeping me there. I couldn't imagine life without that discount... and my location started us off at $9/hr, and it wasn't difficult to receive a raise. The hours were very flexible and as long as you kept the store neat and clean, greeted customers at the door and flipped over those stupid nail polishes every night, you were golden.

Cons

Oh God, where do I begin... First off, the hiring process (as most of you already know by now) is probably the closest thing to illegal there is, unless it is illegal which it could be. It's extremely hard to get a job at AA without knowing someone who works there. We got random walk-in applicants all the time, and I would say we actually interviewed about 1 out of 50 of those applicants. If you're oh-so lucky enough to know someone that works at AA, you pretty much got the job. As long as you look the part and haven't stolen from the store before, you're good. They will go ahead and take a picture of you-- a head shot and a full body shot. They send it to corporate to be approved, and that determines whether you get hired or not. It's stupid. Another pretty shitty thing about this company is that they are TOO gracious with promotions, etc. At one point, an 18 year old was the district merchandiser for half of Florida, and that is just ridiculous. There are no real standards, and anyone could go and become manager if they REALLY wanted to. Everything was always so unorganized, and so much stupid petty drama. It honestly made me hate the company and everything it stood for... except the discount. All in all, it's good for the money and discount. That's about it. No matter how much you thought you loved AA, you will hate it after working there.

Seriously, stop giving such young people high positions in the company. That's why you are in so much debt, that's why there's internal theft, and that's why friendships>professional life at your stores. Extremely unprofessional work setting. Start hiring uglier people who know what the hell they're doing instead of decent looking hipsters who can't even think for themselves.

There are newer employer reviews for American Apparel