American Apparel

www.americanapparel.net
  www.americanapparel.net
There are newer employer reviews for American Apparel

Manufacturers of sustainable goods with liberal moral values, socially progressive

Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY
Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at American Apparel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good ethics. Sweatshop Free clothes.

Cons

Don't pay to industry standards, particularly upper management.

Pay employees a living wage based on location. Why is a manager living in Omaha (where rent is presumably inexpensive) getting paid the same as a manager in NYC (where rent is expensive)? NYC makes up most of the company's profits and its employees should be compensated as such.

309 Other Employee Reviews for American Apparel (View Most Recent)

An overall unprofessional work environment.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY

I worked at American Apparel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- 50% discount on almost all merchandise.
    - Easy to advance in the company.
    - Relatively laid-back work environment.

Cons

- Extremely poor judgement on the part of upper management.
    - Teenagers being placed in positions of management.
    - No positive reinforcement or motivation coming from upper management - it's all about fear and intimidation.
    - Very clear cut hierarchy. Managers love to let their employees know that they are above them, and if they don't do what they are told, they will be written up and possibly released for it.
    - Strict dress code.
    - Very poor compensation. I was earning $13/hour and expected to do a crazy amount of work on a daily basis. No appreciation ever coming from the store manager.
    - Everything is always extremely disorganized.
    - District manager is incompetent.

I don't have any advice to the management, because the management is the main problem. This company will continue to go downhill as long as incompetent people are placed in positions of management. Then again, when a store manager is earning $14/hour on average, you can't really expect anyone other than teenagers or unqualified individuals to stick around. I quickly resigned from my position once I realized what a joke the company is.

Backstock is the BEST!

Current Employee - Backstock Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Backstock Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at American Apparel part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employee allowances, employee discount, work environment, staff, schedule flexibility.
    (I applied specifically as back stock. I had experience as a sales associate before, but wanted a more chill environment)
    All in all, I've really enjoyed working at AA. However, I have heard/read horror stories from other workers at separate locations. My specific location is very laid-back, and our manager really cares about her employees. The hours are extremely flexible, and I work almost full-time. I have fun working back stock! I know the sales associates/keyholders/managers don't love their job as much as people in the back. Back stock people don't have to worry about meeting goal, or pleasing customers, though. I'm very satisfied. The company has a bad reputation, but the majority of large companies do! (Just check out Urban Outfitters CEO)

Again, I'm very pleased with my job. I think I lucked out, though. The store is only ten minutes from my house, and the staff is filled with really sincerely kind people. When there aren't many customers, I can just listen to music and play on my iphone! Such a laid-back job. Our staff is very small (only 10 people), so we're like a family.

WARNING: the location and co-workers make a HUGE difference on your outlook of working at AA.

Cons

Dov :(
    Must wear head to toe American Apparel attire. (Which is okay, because the company gave all the workers in our store free shoes)

Hire people who are QUALIFIED, rather than just hiring people with mediocre resumes but good-looks.

There are newer employer reviews for American Apparel