American Appraisal

There are newer employer reviews for American Appraisal

Senior Associate at American Appraisal in business valuation group

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at American Appraisal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work and life balance and collegial atmosphere among peers.

Cons

Rewarding top performers of consultant pool.

Greater range for bonus

31 Other Employee Reviews for American Appraisal (View Most Recent)

Poorly run company that over promises

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Appraisal

Pros

Like others have mentioned, the staff in the trenches are great down to earth types. I've made many friends here and am still in touch with them.

Cons

You’ll work long hours and have very little time to live your life. No respect at all for a personal life. The hierarchy makes little sense. Why would you have the legal department in charge of the Administrative Assistants or I.T.?!? Corporate policy regarding business processes is regularly written, but rarely followed or enforced. There are groups that just ignore the rules and do things the way they want without concern for what’s best for all departments involved in a project. I felt bad for anyone that wasn’t billable; they were viewed as lower class citizens and treated poorly.

Others here have said it’s like the company is in a constant state of restructuring and I completely agree with that. This company is always looking for ways to reduce costs, but not in a sensible way. Redundant departments are all over the globe. Resources are geographically isolated from each other. Poor leverage of talent; it’s hard to find out who you can engage on a project based on their skills in a specific region. I can’t speak of locations outside of the U.S., but here offices kept moving to smaller suites and people are starting to feel packed in. Employees are catching on and jumping ship. Their best talents are leaving regularly for other firms. A few people told me that months after I left they fired the entire I.T. department, except for one guy, leaving them to mostly fend for themselves. And it wasn’t like the technology was current! I can only imagine the problems people are dealing with now.

You’re paid less than market value and get poor benefits. You certainly don’t get what they claim. They hadn’t made a contribution to 401(k)’s in years. While they say that they offer tuition reimbursement, anyone that asks for it is turned down. Health insurance costs are reasonable if you’re the only person on the policy, but quickly get out of hand if you have a spouse or dependents.
    Before I left there were signs that they were trying to communicate the financial strength of the company. However, there were still too many cases of silence in the overall direction of the company. You’re either a made man and in the know or expendable and kept in the dark.

In the end, American Appraisal is poorly run. This is not the same company I started with.

You try to come off as an elite group, but in reality it's like the blind leading the blind. Get out of the way and make room for those than can actually do some good.

No longer the #1 Independent Valuation firm in the world

Former Employee - Valuation Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Valuation Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at American Appraisal

Pros

At the beginning of my tenure there, the company was a great place to work. Training opportunities were there for the asking. Management actually knew (and cared) about the employyee as a person

Cons

Once Ron Goergen left the firm and Joe Zvesper took the reins it just wasn't a the same place. Joe is a nice enough guy, but not suited (nor tried for that matter) to the company's corporate culture. Employees used to be a top priority then. Certainly not now. Zvesper has detached himself from almost any interaction with the staff other than the upper management people he bought in from the outside. He often refferred to long time employees as "legacy employees". Like being loyal was something to be looked down on. Slowly over the last four or five years, they have moved out anyone who had long term ties with the firm and gotten away from their original appraisal firm model. They have bought in a lot of people from accounting firms who don't have a filed view of the industry and are constantly making decisions based more on how much money they can save rather than how much money they can make. Poor, very poor management model

It's probably a little late to fix much of anything. You stopped listening to the "troops". Your key assets were ALWAYS your people. Not the carpetbaggers you've been bringing in.

There are newer employer reviews for American Appraisal