American Association for Clinical Chemistry

www.aacc.org
Engaged Employer
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for American Association for Clinical Chemistry

Amazing benefits and work-life balance, uneven management, poor advancement opportunities

I have been working at American Association for Clinical Chemistry

Pros

Benefits, flexibility, relatively high salaries

Cons

Some departments are managed poorly

Advice to Management

Open your eyes to the problems in departments where staff routinely leave or express dissatisfaction

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

AACC has a great staff and environment. Loved my internship.

Former Employee - Summer Intern Marketing & Communications Coordinator in Washington, DC

I worked at American Association for Clinical Chemistry full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff and bosses
    Finishing work that feels very meaningful
    Great place for those interested in health and medicine
    Pays well for an intern
    Working on projects that you are interested in

Cons

Tedious research projects
    Confusing jargon (but you get used to it and it's always nice to expand your vocabulary)
    Sometimes you want to do more for the team but it's hard to when they don't need you for some of the material that you have studied at school

Advice to Management

I think the upper management is great. They talk to you when they need to and if that's not the case, it's usually just being friendly and joking around. I helped out more than just one department but I think each department was great.

AACC: Look Elsewhere

Current Employee - Senior Editor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Editor in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Association for Clinical Chemistry

Pros

The benefits aren't bad. That's the only reason to work there--particularly one department with turnover that is beyond anything you could imagine, because of the very unpleasant manager. Also, be sure that the business of clinical laboratory news is something you are truly interested in. But nothing is worth having a vindictive, inscrutable, incompetent manager who makes you hate waking up in the morning. I very much regret taking the position, and the same is true of most people who have held the job.

Cons

Like having errors inserted in your writing? Like being talked to like a schoolchild? Or hearing racist terms? Being constantly second-guessed and blamed for things you didn't do? Then by all means, work for this particular department of AACC. There is huge turnover in this certain department, which produces a certain newsletter. We're talking exactly 15 people in two positions in 10 years (four just in 2008). Managers at AACC are treated like federal employees--to be kept on no matter the misbehavior. Other employees, however--both exempt and non-exempt--are treated as expendable. And HR always takes the side of the manager, no matter what evidence there is of mismanagement and unprofessionalism on her or his part.

Advice to Management

Remove managers whose turnover in their departments is unduly high, who have a history of making inappropriate comments, or whose publication shows a pattern of revenue loss.