There are newer employer reviews for American Automobile Association (AAA)

Awesome Benefits

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time

Pros

Benefits are worth most of the Cons you might experience.

Cons

Very much like high school clicks.

297 Other Employee Reviews for American Automobile Association (AAA) (View Most Recent)

Alright for a part-time work, wouldn't want to be there full-time.

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) part-time for more than a year

Pros

They have extended hours if you are flexible. Employee discount and free basic membership for employees.

Cons

They watch employees through cameras which creates a very uncomfortable atmosphere. Not very good benefits.

Acknowledge hard-working employees despite department they work in.

Don't Drink The Kool-Aid

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The pay was decent, better than most jobs, but it came with a bigger price emotionally.

Cons

This place felt like a mixture of a college course and the game show Survivor. It was nauseating to have to jump through so many hoops with having to pass 2 testing exams in training, and then you go out in the floor and you have to have 3 certified calls with frequent meetings with the manager. Then just when you think you've reached the milestone and get certified to go out on the floor, you're taking continuous quizzes that you must pass, you have to sit through "1 on 1" with your supervisor to scrutinize 3 calls out of the whole week, for every week for the rest of your life (seems like they always pick your could-be-better calls just to make you feel stupid). I mean I get the point of continuing education, but it was just WAY too much for a person to handle.

Being someone who has been in call centers for years (also managed and trained reps) and knows what it takes to provide a good customer service experience, AAA takes it to the level of paranoia. All the call centers I have ever worked at LOATHE the idea of reps reading SCRIPTS to your customers. They have a Call Model script where you are literally forced to say things a certain way even down to the exact words you must use, or it will count against you in your scores. For someone like me who wants to speak to customers in a "freestyle" manner and actually talking to our customers like they are humans instead of sounded like a scripted robot, this really bothered me. It made me feel like such a fake person.

The computers and the phone system was terrible. Windows XP? Are companies really still sticking to a dinosaur operating system? The software to enter calls in constantly crashes and we are always resorting to using Excel spreadsheets to submit calls, and if that doesn't work you're stuck to writing them on paper. AAA boasts their online presence with their new apps for phones but we were never properly trained to use them ourselves and when I did use it, it seemed very outdated. As for the phone systems, you're basically forced to stay on the phones, the calls come to you automatically and you don't have a choice. The only choice you get is to put yourself in an "Away" mode that they allow only so many minutes a month if you need an emergency bathroom break or something else. It's way too strict and it makes you feel like you're working at a factory line.

Communication is a big disappointment here. If any of you remember the film The Office where the guy shows up for work and he has 3 different people come up to him asking if he got the memo for the new TPS reports and they keep giving him the same notice, it's kinda like the same thing here only in email form. Whenever there's an issue or an announcement, you get that announcement via email from about 5 or 6 different people throughout the day, who apparently think that we're too stupid to check our emails the first time.

The dealbreaker for me was scheduling. I was thrilled to work at a place where I can get 25 hours a week because I run my own business on the side You make a bid for your shifts for a certain time frame. You never get weekends off, there isn't even an option for it. You basically walk into work each day with uncertainty about what you will work because if the phones are busy, they will take away your breaks and your lunches and force you to stay extra hours and you can't do anything about it. I had supervisors that would come up to me consistently and tell me there's overtime and ask me what I can work. They tell you to always have a "Plan B" because we need to be there for our members...really sounds like they just need to hire more people.

All in all, I liked some of the people there and made some new friends, but I really felt like I was hoodwinked coming into this position thinking it was such a great place to work for and then the curtain was revealed to show that you are working at yet another useless call center that has a continuous stream of upset people who take all their frustrations out at you because they think you run the company and can wave the magic wand at their beck and call. This place was promoted and glorified as an environment where your members will appreciate you because you are helping them in a time of need when really most of the callers are a bunch of ungrateful jerks who think they own you because they paid a membership so you have to do whatever they say. Little do people remember that most things you pay for come with rules and exceptions, and you get ticked off at the call center reps when you don't read those rules and don't get your way.

Notice how much competition AAA is getting lately from other insurance companies and various roadside assistance companies. There's a reason why that competition now exists...people want better service.

You put too much emphasis on the needs of the customers, which is great but you still have a long way to go as far as treating your employees better and not making them feel like slaves.

There are newer employer reviews for American Automobile Association (AAA)

Worked for American Automobile Association (AAA)? Contribute to the Community!