American Bureau of Shipping
www.eagle.org Houston, TX 5000+ Employees

Excellent company with a long distinguished history and a solid future.

Engineer I (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

ProsThe company provides numerous opportunities for advancement with a clear career path. The company is also very supportive in continuing education and industry involvement. One of the best benefits has been the respect shown to individual employees from upper level management. You are even allowed to work whatever hours you want and if you need to take a day off but don't want to use vacation time then you can easily make the hours up later in the week.

ConsEngineers don't get to travel allot until they move up to management positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would ask that they increase the number of opportunities the standard engineer has for travel. Especially since the company is so globally diverse.

Great workplace

Human Resources Representative & Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
    Jakarta (Indonesia)

I have been working at American Bureau of Shipping as a contractor for more than a year

Pros: Work safety, and Career development. Otstanding details of process instruction, make it… Cons: Micro management, and probs on work-life balance. Advice to Senior Management: Develop the policy of ethics and compliance. Develop the abs academy… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great place to learn but not particularly dynamic

I have been working at American Bureau of Shipping full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Very safe learning environment and you get exposure to a… Cons: Upper management not particularly inspiring - lack dynamism when presenting and fail to paint a compelling picture of company strategy or vision. 150 year old company… Advice to Senior Management: Learn to communicate like the best companies in the world. Ruthlessly invest in and improve systems to provide superior information upon which the company can make… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on American Bureau of Shipping.

Worked for American Bureau of Shipping? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Bureau of Shipping reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Bureau of Shipping CEO Christopher J. Wiernicki. All reviews posted anonymously by American Bureau of Shipping employees.