American Bureau of Shipping

www.eagle.org
  www.eagle.org
There are newer employer reviews for American Bureau of Shipping

Excellent company with a long distinguished history and a solid future.

Current Employee - Engineer I in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Engineer I in Houston, TX

I have been working at American Bureau of Shipping

Pros

The company provides numerous opportunities for advancement with a clear career path. The company is also very supportive in continuing education and industry involvement. One of the best benefits has been the respect shown to individual employees from upper level management. You are even allowed to work whatever hours you want and if you need to take a day off but don't want to use vacation time then you can easily make the hours up later in the week.

Cons

Engineers don't get to travel allot until they move up to management positions.

I would ask that they increase the number of opportunities the standard engineer has for travel. Especially since the company is so globally diverse.

60 Other Employee Reviews for American Bureau of Shipping (View Most Recent)

Excellent company with high workload

Former Employee - Engineer II in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Engineer II in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at American Bureau of Shipping full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great learning environment. Many experience technical professionals, where you can always get good support. The company has great material on maritime technology, far ahead of its competitors. A very structured organization to work.

Also career growth is better as engineer and surveyor, but if you want to move into management, which is simply difficult because they have hundreds of technical position, but management position may be only few.

Excellent medical benefits, and HR policy in Singapore. It is possible to think for a long career here.

Cons

Salary is standard, but Singapore expense is moving so fast. They may consider to match the current expense level. The company have good overtime policy, easily can earn 20-40% extra annually, but if you do not want to work overtime it would be hard to cope in Singapore lifestyle.

Keep it up as you are doing over the past decades. Hardly need to change the policy and always ABS own experience people are leading, which is great.

To meet the basic in Singapore, engineers also need little bit more, and you are hiring mostly the best talents in the market in this field. So to keep them you need to adjust as well. We understand your pay is good compare to other Singapore companies and it is not possible to go up too high due to the volatile market. Just consider to compare within ABS a possible lifestyle with 4500 USD take home in Houston and 4500 USD (5600 UGD) take home in Singapore, it could be very different. As a great employer you may care to consider it.

It been good so far!

I have been working at American Bureau of Shipping

Pros

I have been lucky to have a manger who has been a true mentor. Not only has he been patient, he has been willing to teach at every opportunity. Something quite rare these days.

Cons

No scope for growth for non survey jobs.

There are newer employer reviews for American Bureau of Shipping