American Bureau of Shipping

www.eagle.org

Excellent company to work for

Former Employee - Designer  in  Houston, TX
Former Employee - Designer in Houston, TX

Pros

The mission of ABS is to make the oceans safe, so it was a great feeling being part of a company with that focus. I worked with engineers who were focused, intelligent and communicated clearly. I enjoyed being part of their team.

Cons

My position was contract based, and a full time position opened up in my field just when my contract was ending, but the Manager who interviewed me was not open at all to considering me for the full time position, even though I was highly recommended by my supervisor.

Management should be open to hiring Contract workers when a full time position opens up.

Other reviews for American Bureau of Shipping

I couldn't leave fast enough - unprofessional management and engineers!

Former Employee - Engineer II  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer II in Houston, TX

Pros

If you last a few years you can be promoted to rule over your own fiefdom.
    A stint at ABS looks great on your resume - all the shipping & offshore companies like to have that extra insight.
    At least you don't have to pay to park in the garage.

Cons

The pay is well below average for the area- particularly when compared to the positions one would be qualified to fill at an oil company.
    The location is pretty scary, especially after dark. Vehicle break-ins and confrontations while walking to your are are relatively common.
    Engineers are required to track every hour they are "on -the-clock" and are expected to bill all 40 hours a week to a client - even when they are in department meetings and training.
    There is a reason that the turn-over rate is so high at this company. Management allows far too much workplace bullying, harassment and generally bad behavior to go unchecked.
    Managers do not offer support or guidance to engineers and ignore valid workplace concerns.

Reign in the unprofessional engineers and start treating everyone as a "real person" and turn-over would drop dramatically - even with the sub-par pay.

Good place for stable job

Current Employee - Architect  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Architect in Houston, TX

Pros

Good place to work. Managers don't interfere much, give freedom to work.

Cons

Lake of work planning and project management.

Management should think about employees career planning.

There are newer employer reviews for American Bureau of Shipping.

Worked for American Bureau of Shipping? Contribute to the Community!