American Campus Communities

www.americancampus.com

Don't forget what you came into the job for.

Community Assistant (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

Pros"Free housing". I put this in quotes because there are times they work you 40+ hours a week during turn and moves ins and the free in free housing quickly disappears. They definitely think that because they offer you a place to stay they can do with you what they please.
Promotes from within. Great opportunities to advance because people quit all the time. You can go from a CA to Resident Director in under a year.

ConsMonoculture. Fraternity/Sorority-like atmosphere. Almost everyone that works there is the same. Cares about the same insignificant things and lacks a grasp of the realities of life. If you are different you feel it and hate it. I went in to have a great experience and get free housing, by the end of the first two months I decided all I was in it for was the free housing.
It's all about the bottom line with this business. They don't care about the people they house. All their communities look great from the outside and on paper, but on closer inspection you find cheap furniture, cheap fixtures and exorbitant rent. I felt bad for and agreed with the residents who complained about how ACC is robbing them, but couldn't admit they were right..
The company spends way too much money on staff development activities, which makes all the staff very cult-like. They have great relationships with each other, but are often rude and uncaring to the residents they serve.
Almost all the pro-staff are former CA's, with little (if any) real world work experience, so their management techniques come off as very juvenile. I've seen on campus club presidents who do a better job at being managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a staff with varying interests, and backgrounds. Don't forget who you serve, actually put residents first. Not all pro-staff are bad, but the ones who are really suck.
Have a more rigorous training of professional staff. Outsource the work to non-ACC companies, so that they can get a taste of what real management should look like.

Leasing Agent

Leasing Agent (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

I worked at American Campus Communities full-time for more than a year

Pros: A lot of young blood flowing through the front doors.… Cons: Working with management was like dealing with amateur hour. Regular rotating door for property managers and engineering staff. That young blood quick to sign a… Advice to Senior Management: Do what you say and say what you'll do. Hire… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Company abuses employees who do not kiss ass

Community Assistant (Former Employee) Prairie View, TX

I worked at American Campus Communities for more than a year

Pros: Free Rent Co-workers on your same level become friends due to… Cons: Childish, immature management Managers are recent graduates of fields such as Biology, or Architecture Managers are same age as RA's Unorganized goals, RA's are used for physical labor,… Advice to Senior Management: Go Home, give up on life. You suck. No, seriously. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on American Campus Communities.

Worked for American Campus Communities? Contribute to the Community!