American Cancer Society

www.cancer.org
  www.cancer.org
There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

Low pressure environment with average pay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at American Cancer Society

Pros

* Lots of paid time off, in the 1st year I started I got 25 paid days off and you get more paid days off for each year you work there.
* Low pressure environment makes it ideal for those needing a work/home balance, I honestly work 30-50 hours a week and I have never worked more than 60 hours in a week
* Brand recognition, looks great on your resume
* You get recognition for good work and likewise to be fair, the dead weight are dealt with pretty quickly
* Generous benefit package you get life insurance, 403(b) plan which matches contributions up to 4%, commuter benefit discounts, vacation/travel discounts. I got really cheap auto insurance thanks to ACS

Cons

* The pay is average and you don't get bonuses but in my opinion it's only fair because the work is not high pressure
* Revolving door system, lots of people come and go, for each year I have been working at ACS there has been a major layoff round every winter, the joke is that we have annual layoffs although the higher ups use euphemisms like "restructuring", "transformation", etc... Not to mention I have been with ACS for 4 years and I have gone through 5 managers and am on my 6th manager. Lord only knows how long my manager is going to last.

None - I am happy with my work experience at American Cancer Society. When I first started working at ACS it was pretty chaotic but it's for the better in that the dead weight are getting dealt with and now the good performers get recognition.

468 Other Employee Reviews for American Cancer Society (View Most Recent)

Disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

Proud to know that I am making a difference in getting others involved in the fight against cancer.

Cons

Lack of leadership and direction. Poor management. Lack of recruiting volunteers.

Hire capable managers.. Pay more for qualified managers to get better results.
    Highly advise that all staff, including TEMP Positions and Outreach fill out an anonymous report of managment.

Incompetent Management, low pay, long hours

Former Employee - Community Manager in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Roanoke, VA

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

The PTO allowance is great (but they do have a problem allowing staff to use it). The benefits are decent but not great.

Cons

Leadership is disconnected from field staff
    Management is completely incompetent
    Long hours (I averaged 68.2 hours per week and at times exceeded 80 hours per week - my supervisor even called to press me on work issues the day my child was born)
    The organization is bloated and wastes an incredible amount of money

Learn to value your field staff. Your middle management needs a complete overhaul. Learn to be more nimble and adapt to change.

There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society