American Cancer Society
www.cancer.org Atlanta, GA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Low Pay, Poor Management and a Disappointing Work Environment

Cancer Information Specialist (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt was great being with others who desire to make a difference and help those in need.

ConsAbsolutely shocking in terms of the negative low level managers who continually criticize employees but rarely do anything to reward them or support them. This is un unprofessional place to work and they make no apologies for anything they do wrong including paycheck errors or anything else.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone - all the fedback which was given from many of my coworkers was blatantly ignored! This company does not seem to care what employees think or need or want. The bucks roll in no matter what so they seem completely uninterested in creating a healthy work environment.

Poor Management, low pay and too many hours

Manager (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: We definitley help cancer patients and their families. Huge… Cons: Incredible amount of inept leaders. Over paid CEO and executives. Lack of recognition for staff… Advice to Senior Management: Clean House-- Get some real management talent here who earn what they make. Correct the ridiculous levels of… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Fun and exciting but not a good job for anyone with a family.

Community Representative (Former Employee)
Jacksonville, FL

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time for more than a year

Pros: Volunteers are fantastic, co-workers are fun and enthusiastic. Great about compensating for… Cons: Management was trying to grow the market-share too quickly (requiring too many individual Relay for Life events in one area) rather than focusing on the… Advice to Senior Management: Turnover is incredibly high which is distracting to volunteers. Please listen to what the employees in the field are telling you about… More

There are newer reviews on American Cancer Society.

Worked for American Cancer Society? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Cancer Society reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Cancer Society CEO John R. Seffrin. All reviews posted anonymously by American Cancer Society employees.