There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

Personal time beware

Current Employee - Community Manager
Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great mission, good people wanting to do the right thing, events and activities are inspiring. If you like it and are willing to move or travel a lot for business there is room for advancement. Your experience will differ greatly based on the type of vp and managers you have.

Cons

You spend around 50 hours a week working. There r unrealistic goals and if you get an area that is widespread geographically you might as well kiss your free time goodbye. Working with volunteers can be a rewarding experience but remember that this is just an ancillary project for them.

Stop trying to control every aspect. Community managers are able to make intelligent decisions. Goals are important but make the event fun and the money will come

425 Other Employee Reviews for American Cancer Society (View Most Recent)

Wished I had known more about reality than just the name recogniion

Former Employee - DetermiNATION Coordinator
    Former Employee - DetermiNATION Coordinator

I worked at American Cancer Society for more than a year

Pros

The "feeling" that you are in a position to help raise funds to help fight cancer.

Cons

Low pay
    Constant demands on your personal time
    Unending micro-management in order to scare you into raising more and more money
    Job ends up costing you as many supplies you need will never be approved, so you end up buying them out of your own pocket since they can yield benefits.

Where to start? Don't enter into shady contractual dealings with for profit entities who are doing more than touting you as a CHARITY partner when in fact you are paying for the privilege of bringing them participants and increasing their bottom line. DetermiNATION anyone?

horrendous hiring experience at ACS. this place should be avoided at all costs.

I have been working at American Cancer Society

Pros

there are no pros with this experience. i'm appalled.

Cons

I've never encountered such a lack of professionalism, bullying, and non-transparency. I was not able to obtain an official offer letter in writing and my salary was substantially reduced after the offer was verbally extended. Additionally, I was pressured into deciding on the position at the end of the business day on friday. avoid at all costs. i've never experienced such appalling lack of professionalism.

official offer letters in writing should be extended with an offer, not after an individual accepts a position. this is standard policy at most PROFESSIONAL institutions.

There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

Worked for American Cancer Society? Contribute to the Community!