There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

Rewarding, great benefits...but don't apply unless you are willing to put in hours!

Former Employee - Senior Income Development Representative in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Senior Income Development Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome PTO (builds every year); Great benefits (especially the annual accrued sick leave; "Family" working environment; Dedicated group of volunteers

Cons

Lots of hours (must be able to balance time); "Transformation" (organizational overhaul) has been rough for many people/positions; Unneccessary "middle/upper" management; Lots of travel

Other Employee Reviews for American Cancer Society

Entrenched in politics and gossip, with little advancement toward mission. Restructuring rather than working.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Retirement plan and health insurance.

Cons

1) I been here 7 years--but management was/is stingy with pay, title and promotion. Raises never above 2.5% despite exceeding goals. Other staff were given .5% raises? If they do not perform enough to merit a raise, why where they retained? Because the politics of the offices are debilitating. I befriended a manger who would tell me incredibly personal information about other staff. When brought to HR nothing was done. 2) No chances for advancement unless you come in as a Relay, ID or community rep. But once you're in, your stuck until you go to another. At that time you realize you received no training that is applicable to another organization (no Raisers Edge, no other useful programs that are marketable in the real world.) Also, Rather than celebrate 100 year birthday, the Society decided to "transform" (ie restructure and fire staff). The most productive staff knew their jobs (those who had tenure) had to reapply for jobs, and ultimately lost them to new staff or favorites of the incoming EVP. The transformation cost millions in consulting costs, millions in rebuilding since the history of programs and data goes out with the staff. Oddly, the fact this restructuring was not announced publicly despite the scores of staff that were let go with minimal severance. BTW: the gossipy manager and HR staff were awarded title promotions as the restructuring continues.

Advice to Management

Realize this is a professional business. Treat it as such. Invest in your staff. Cut the politics and install incentive markers. Afterall, the goal is to find a cure and "create more birthdays", right?

Blown away at the lack of work ethic & business sense and the disorganization

Former Employee - Senior Director in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Hartford, CT

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The mission is great. The events are great.

Cons

Completely disorganized. Waste of donor money on salaries for managers who do nothing. Very unintelligent people managing. Nobody listens to challenges or makes any changes that would benefit the society. I have worked in this industry for a long time and when my aunt was diagnosed with cancer I took a job with ACS. In my eyes, ACS was a very reputable society - it was the American Cancer Society, for goodness sake! Not so much. I was blown away by the lack of professionalism, intelligence and business sense of ANY management. I realize that in non-profit, "businessmen", are not always present, but I had never seen anything like this before. Special Event teams are tasked with managing committees who are supposed to do ALL of the work associated with an event - which is very unrealistic to begin with but it does not help that the managers prior to me had ruined every good relaitonship wiht donors and committee members. They felt unappreciated and unguided. That was hard for me to understand at first but after a few months on the job I knew what they meant - and it was not just my office. I met and spoke with employees from several offices across the country where the same problems existed - Regional Vice Presidents sat pretty and did no work whatsoever. Business Units and managers were so unmotivated that some times you woul dnot get a response to an email for over 3 weeks. When you asked why certain things were done the way they were when there were more effecient ways of doing them you were told "thats how we do it". I remained with ACS because I realized I coudl add a lot of value to a messy situation. Plus, I was waiting for this big "great" change that was going to happen. I waited and waited and waited - finally realizing that the people in charge were either not intelligent enough or simply did not care enough to make valuable changes. All they did was downsize and move mangers with no work ethic or intelligence into the smae position but called it something else. I was, in fact, offered a "new" position but declined. I could never live with myself if I remained with an organization so unfocused on what should be done. I do hope positive changes occur but, until then, I recomend anybody thinking of applying with ACS to think twice. Anybody supporting ACS financially should also reconsider. While a lot of your money goes to some good, a lot of it also goes to pay the salaries of peopel who do not work and , in some cases, are not even capable of understanding common business practices. A lot of these managers do not show up for work for days at a time - wouldn't you rahter know your money is going somewhere that people actually work?

Advice to Management

You are going through Transformation - use this as a chance to do something great for the organization. Rather than moving managers who do nothing around, get rid of them and hire external candidates who actually have some business sense!