American Cancer Society

www.cancer.org
  www.cancer.org
There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

Rewarding, great benefits...but don't apply unless you are willing to put in hours!

Former Employee - Senior Income Development Representative in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Senior Income Development Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome PTO (builds every year); Great benefits (especially the annual accrued sick leave; "Family" working environment; Dedicated group of volunteers

Cons

Lots of hours (must be able to balance time); "Transformation" (organizational overhaul) has been rough for many people/positions; Unneccessary "middle/upper" management; Lots of travel

466 Other Employee Reviews for American Cancer Society (View Most Recent)

Entrenched in politics and gossip, with little advancement toward mission. Restructuring rather than working.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Retirement plan and health insurance.

Cons

1) I been here 7 years--but management was/is stingy with pay, title and promotion. Raises never above 2.5% despite exceeding goals. Other staff were given .5% raises? If they do not perform enough to merit a raise, why where they retained? Because the politics of the offices are debilitating. I befriended a manger who would tell me incredibly personal information about other staff. When brought to HR nothing was done.
    2) No chances for advancement unless you come in as a Relay, ID or community rep. But once you're in, your stuck until you go to another. At that time you realize you received no training that is applicable to another organization (no Raisers Edge, no other useful programs that are marketable in the real world.)
    Also, Rather than celebrate 100 year birthday, the Society decided to "transform" (ie restructure and fire staff). The most productive staff knew their jobs (those who had tenure) had to reapply for jobs, and ultimately lost them to new staff or favorites of the incoming EVP. The transformation cost millions in consulting costs, millions in rebuilding since the history of programs and data goes out with the staff. Oddly, the fact this restructuring was not announced publicly despite the scores of staff that were let go with minimal severance. BTW: the gossipy manager and HR staff were awarded title promotions as the restructuring continues.

Realize this is a professional business. Treat it as such. Invest in your staff. Cut the politics and install incentive markers. Afterall, the goal is to find a cure and "create more birthdays", right?

Over worked, under paid

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's wonderful working for a cause I truly believe in. I believe we are truly making a difference and believe in our mission. I love working with our passionate volunteers.

Cons

We work a lot of evenings and weekends. Extra work is consistently being added to our plate. Our processes are very inefficient. Management is ineffective and doesn't do a good job of leading from the front.

There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society