There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

Great colleagues, but many incompetent staff kept on/promoted, and top talent left due to poor compensation/lack of opp.

Former Employee - Director
Former Employee - Director

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great mission, a lot of opportunity to use varied skill sets and gain experience

Cons

Non-competitive salaries, lack of work-life balance, lack of transparency, lack of strong external and internal public relations, health benefits package is not competitive

In Transformation, there should actually be transparency. Several enterprise-wide communications were nebulous and did not take into account the intelligence of staff to read between the lines. Hire PR staff and create a PR department for internal and external PR, separate from fundraising efforts through MarCom.

I would also recommend that ACS raise the bar for nonprofit employment: The organization, as well as other nonprofits, should not set pay scales on the basis of an incorrect assumption that staff are there because of passion about the mission. This is an exploitative view of staff; the missions and values of the Society, as well as other nonprofits, should be better clarified and communicated to the public. Staff care about the mission, but they also need to pay their bills and should not suffer because organizations fail to properly explain how money is used.

426 Other Employee Reviews for American Cancer Society (View Most Recent)

Blown away at the lack of work ethic & business sense and the disorganization

Former Employee - Senior Director  in  Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Hartford, CT

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The mission is great. The events are great.

Cons

Completely disorganized. Waste of donor money on salaries for managers who do nothing. Very unintelligent people managing. Nobody listens to challenges or makes any changes that would benefit the society.

I have worked in this industry for a long time and when my aunt was diagnosed with cancer I took a job with ACS. In my eyes, ACS was a very reputable society - it was the American Cancer Society, for goodness sake!
    Not so much. I was blown away by the lack of professionalism, intelligence and business sense of ANY management. I realize that in non-profit, "businessmen", are not always present, but I had never seen anything like this before. Special Event teams are tasked with managing committees who are supposed to do ALL of the work associated with an event - which is very unrealistic to begin with but it does not help that the managers prior to me had ruined every good relaitonship wiht donors and committee members. They felt unappreciated and unguided. That was hard for me to understand at first but after a few months on the job I knew what they meant - and it was not just my office. I met and spoke with employees from several offices across the country where the same problems existed - Regional Vice Presidents sat pretty and did no work whatsoever. Business Units and managers were so unmotivated that some times you woul dnot get a response to an email for over 3 weeks. When you asked why certain things were done the way they were when there were more effecient ways of doing them you were told "thats how we do it".
    I remained with ACS because I realized I coudl add a lot of value to a messy situation. Plus, I was waiting for this big "great" change that was going to happen. I waited and waited and waited - finally realizing that the people in charge were either not intelligent enough or simply did not care enough to make valuable changes. All they did was downsize and move mangers with no work ethic or intelligence into the smae position but called it something else. I was, in fact, offered a "new" position but declined. I could never live with myself if I remained with an organization so unfocused on what should be done. I do hope positive changes occur but, until then, I recomend anybody thinking of applying with ACS to think twice. Anybody supporting ACS financially should also reconsider. While a lot of your money goes to some good, a lot of it also goes to pay the salaries of peopel who do not work and , in some cases, are not even capable of understanding common business practices. A lot of these managers do not show up for work for days at a time - wouldn't you rahter know your money is going somewhere that people actually work?

You are going through Transformation - use this as a chance to do something great for the organization. Rather than moving managers who do nothing around, get rid of them and hire external candidates who actually have some business sense!

Relay For Life Manager

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

Great benefits and a lot of vacation days. This job is rewarding because you get to help individuals and refer them to the different programs offered by the American Cancer SOciety

Cons

You work ALOT of hours, especially during Relay season. Work-Life balance is decent, it really just depends on who your supervisor is.

There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

Worked for American Cancer Society? Contribute to the Community!