American Cancer Society

www.cancer.org
  www.cancer.org
There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

Over worked, under paid

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's wonderful working for a cause I truly believe in. I believe we are truly making a difference and believe in our mission. I love working with our passionate volunteers.

Cons

We work a lot of evenings and weekends. Extra work is consistently being added to our plate. Our processes are very inefficient. Management is ineffective and doesn't do a good job of leading from the front.

467 Other Employee Reviews for American Cancer Society (View Most Recent)

Great colleagues, but many incompetent staff kept on/promoted, and top talent left due to poor compensation/lack of opp.

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great mission, a lot of opportunity to use varied skill sets and gain experience

Cons

Non-competitive salaries, lack of work-life balance, lack of transparency, lack of strong external and internal public relations, health benefits package is not competitive

In Transformation, there should actually be transparency. Several enterprise-wide communications were nebulous and did not take into account the intelligence of staff to read between the lines. Hire PR staff and create a PR department for internal and external PR, separate from fundraising efforts through MarCom.

I would also recommend that ACS raise the bar for nonprofit employment: The organization, as well as other nonprofits, should not set pay scales on the basis of an incorrect assumption that staff are there because of passion about the mission. This is an exploitative view of staff; the missions and values of the Society, as well as other nonprofits, should be better clarified and communicated to the public. Staff care about the mission, but they also need to pay their bills and should not suffer because organizations fail to properly explain how money is used.

A fantastic organization to work for, but they are SLOW

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Great people. A cause that you can get behind. Supportive environment.

Cons

This is an enormous non-profit. They are extremely risk-averse and careful about everything they so, which means that every decision they make and every request that gets made of them is processed very slowly. Don't expect any quick raises or promotions. Also, people who are horrible at their jobs will stick around for much longer than they should because the organization won't make the decision to let them go.

Show your employees how much you value them by giving them incentives to do their jobs well.

There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society