American Cancer Society

www.cancer.org

Blown away at the lack of work ethic & business sense and the disorganization

Senior Director (Former Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsThe mission is great. The events are great.

ConsCompletely disorganized. Waste of donor money on salaries for managers who do nothing. Very unintelligent people managing. Nobody listens to challenges or makes any changes that would benefit the society.

I have worked in this industry for a long time and when my aunt was diagnosed with cancer I took a job with ACS. In my eyes, ACS was a very reputable society - it was the American Cancer Society, for goodness sake!
Not so much. I was blown away by the lack of professionalism, intelligence and business sense of ANY management. I realize that in non-profit, "businessmen", are not always present, but I had never seen anything like this before. Special Event teams are tasked with managing committees who are supposed to do ALL of the work associated with an event - which is very unrealistic to begin with but it does not help that the managers prior to me had ruined every good relaitonship wiht donors and committee members. They felt unappreciated and unguided. That was hard for me to understand at first but after a few months on the job I knew what they meant - and it was not just my office. I met and spoke with employees from several offices across the country where the same problems existed - Regional Vice Presidents sat pretty and did no work whatsoever. Business Units and managers were so unmotivated that some times you woul dnot get a response to an email for over 3 weeks. When you asked why certain things were done the way they were when there were more effecient ways of doing them you were told "thats how we do it".
I remained with ACS because I realized I coudl add a lot of value to a messy situation. Plus, I was waiting for this big "great" change that was going to happen. I waited and waited and waited - finally realizing that the people in charge were either not intelligent enough or simply did not care enough to make valuable changes. All they did was downsize and move mangers with no work ethic or intelligence into the smae position but called it something else. I was, in fact, offered a "new" position but declined. I could never live with myself if I remained with an organization so unfocused on what should be done. I do hope positive changes occur but, until then, I recomend anybody thinking of applying with ACS to think twice. Anybody supporting ACS financially should also reconsider. While a lot of your money goes to some good, a lot of it also goes to pay the salaries of peopel who do not work and , in some cases, are not even capable of understanding common business practices. A lot of these managers do not show up for work for days at a time - wouldn't you rahter know your money is going somewhere that people actually work?

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are going through Transformation - use this as a chance to do something great for the organization. Rather than moving managers who do nothing around, get rid of them and hire external candidates who actually have some business sense!

PFS Coordinator

PFS Coordinator (Former Employee) Cedar Knolls, NJ

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time for more than a year

Pros: Great place to work! You have the opportunity to help the community and provide… Cons: Mandatory cold calling and solicitation. Advice to Senior Management: Make sure to advise potential employees of the sales and… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

great people, friendly supervisors.

Specialist (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Very nice people, great mission, coworkers and supervisors are supportive. Also… Cons: Company is undergoing major transformation, there's a lot of uncertainly among staffs. Not… Advice to Senior Management: if there's a communication plan about transformation, please communicate with… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on American Cancer Society.

Worked for American Cancer Society? Contribute to the Community!