American Cancer Society

www.cancer.org

Entrenched in politics and gossip, with little advancement toward mission. Restructuring rather than working.

Program Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsRetirement plan and health insurance.

Cons1) I been here 7 years--but management was/is stingy with pay, title and promotion. Raises never above 2.5% despite exceeding goals. Other staff were given .5% raises? If they do not perform enough to merit a raise, why where they retained? Because the politics of the offices are debilitating. I befriended a manger who would tell me incredibly personal information about other staff. When brought to HR nothing was done.
2) No chances for advancement unless you come in as a Relay, ID or community rep. But once you're in, your stuck until you go to another. At that time you realize you received no training that is applicable to another organization (no Raisers Edge, no other useful programs that are marketable in the real world.)
Also, Rather than celebrate 100 year birthday, the Society decided to "transform" (ie restructure and fire staff). The most productive staff knew their jobs (those who had tenure) had to reapply for jobs, and ultimately lost them to new staff or favorites of the incoming EVP. The transformation cost millions in consulting costs, millions in rebuilding since the history of programs and data goes out with the staff. Oddly, the fact this restructuring was not announced publicly despite the scores of staff that were let go with minimal severance. BTW: the gossipy manager and HR staff were awarded title promotions as the restructuring continues.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize this is a professional business. Treat it as such. Invest in your staff. Cut the politics and install incentive markers. Afterall, the goal is to find a cure and "create more birthdays", right?

Over worked, under paid

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than a year

Pros: It's wonderful working for a cause I truly believe in. I believe we are truly… Cons: We work a lot of evenings and weekends. Extra work is consistently being added to our plate. … No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great colleagues, but many incompetent staff kept on/promoted, and top talent left due to poor compensation/lack of opp.

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Great mission, a lot of opportunity to use varied skill… Cons: Non-competitive salaries, lack of work-life balance, lack of transparency, lack of… Advice to Senior Management: In Transformation, there should actually be transparency. Several enterprise-wide communications were nebulous and did not take into account the intelligence of staff to read between… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on American Cancer Society.

Worked for American Cancer Society? Contribute to the Community!