There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

Good mission, varied employment opportunities in organization undergoing restructuring

Current Employee - Management in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Management in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Most employees strongly support the mission and this provides a meaningful context to daily work. Over 40 nobel prize winning scientists have been supported by ACS funding. Services are provided to patients in need and educational efforts can help save lives.

Cons

It takes many years for progressive changes to be implemented due to a culture of closed-door politics and lack of strong leadership enforcement of best practices. Many trying to advance are stuck with poor rewards from a bad economy and trying to please too many levels of management.

Advice to Management

Stand up for the smart decisions, not the politically pleasing ones.

reviews filtered by

A mission you can believe in

I have been working at American Cancer Society

Pros

Flexibility in your schedule. Ability to truly make a difference and see the fruits of your labor. The programs and services offered to patients by this organization are unparalled (unfortunately they struggle telling that story)

Cons

The organization struggles in being timely, they are slow to make decisions and in order to be successful through their transformation they need to focus on being much more agile and responsive in the new climate.

Best job I've ever had!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a fast paced environment, the benefits are amazing and seeing how all of your hard work pays off is fulfilling. The group of people I work with really know what it means to be a team and we get along really well that it is almost like we're family.

Cons

The salary/pay rate is extremely low for the amount of work you do. Sometimes you are able to feel the separation in the office. Administrative staff does not get treated with the same respect everyone else does but I can only speak for my office; that may be just be the management staff here.

Advice to Management

Employees deserve more money for what they do, treat everyone as equals & appreciate the work your staff does.