American Cancer Society

www.cancer.org
  www.cancer.org
There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

Great nonprofit, even amid transformation

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people are the biggest pro. You'll never work with a group of more caring, passionate and compassionate staff. And you get to work with amazing volunteers and cancer survivors who will inspire you every day. The leadership of the Society is also being very bold to position the organization for strong growth and impact in the future, which means there are a lot of opportunities ahead.

Cons

The American Cancer Society has been in a massive transformation that's caused uneasiness and uncertainty among it's staff. But it's moving past the toughest of times for staff, and things are looking better and better every day.

In every action you undertake, remember three people: (1) The front-line staff member who sits across from volunteers who raise the funds that drive our mission $1, $5 and $10 at a time; (2) The volunteers who work so hard to make everything we do possible; and (3) Most importantly, those people who count on us to save their lives and the lives of those they love.

466 Other Employee Reviews for American Cancer Society (View Most Recent)

Best job I've ever had!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a fast paced environment, the benefits are amazing and seeing how all of your hard work pays off is fulfilling. The group of people I work with really know what it means to be a team and we get along really well that it is almost like we're family.

Cons

The salary/pay rate is extremely low for the amount of work you do. Sometimes you are able to feel the separation in the office. Administrative staff does not get treated with the same respect everyone else does but I can only speak for my office; that may be just be the management staff here.

Employees deserve more money for what they do, treat everyone as equals & appreciate the work your staff does.

The American Cancer Society has been fantastic as an employer

Current Employee - Research Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are supportive and very interested in my research

Cons

The pay is low for a PhD but good for a post-doc salary relatively

Increase salaries